Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

PC11.5 : Move lab project to a different database?

If I added a new database server to Performance Center 11.5, is it possible to move the Lab-project from the old database to the new one?

Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PC11.5 : Move lab project to a different database?

We can take backup of the project and restore it in the new DB. But, the Lab Project must reside in the same database as of Site Admin DB.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks Madan.

I copied the lab_project and siteadmin databases to new server. When I try to edit the connection string from ALM administration site, the connection fails. Presumably due to lack of td user id in new database server. How do I setup the td user?

What is the td user default password for ALM/PC 11.5?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

This can be problematic.  ALM allows for the installer to define a custom password and not necessarily accept the default password.  If the default password was used during install it is tdtdtd.  If the default password was not used during install then there is no way for us to know what that password may be.

Craig Drummond

HP Premier Support - Technical Account Manager - ALM Products 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks Craig.

Can I change the td user password (either directly from ALM or change in DB and then add it to ALM) in the current ALM setup, and then use the same password in the new DB td user?

Is changing the connection string sufficient to point the lab and admin projects to the new DB?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Were you able to successfully move the LAB_PROJECT?

We made a backup of everything, deployed the backup to a new DB, then added the new db to the admin, deactivated projects, updated connection strings, and then restored the project successfully.

I was able to move everything but "LAB_PROJECT" this way. In ALM 11.5.2 the project isn't listed in the Site Projects list so I updated the dbid.xml file manually with the new connection string but this didn't take.

If I go to remove the original database I receive an error message that this project is still using my old connection string.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I would suggest that you open a case with HP Support to assist you with this move.  It is possible but it can be problematic. LAB_Management is just a specialized ALM project so you can move it in the same way that you would move a project database from one DB Server to another (there is documentation on how to do this in the manuals)

However, because LAB_Management is specialized the developers decided to give Lab management it's own tab in the Admin Site (Second tab from the left).  This tab has similar buttons to remove, restore, verify and repair the project that the project tab has, some of them are just not in the same place.

The basic steps would be

1. Remove the Lab Management Project from Site Admin (on the lab management tab)
  2. Move the database (backup then restore to new server or any other process that you want)
  3. Remember that Oracle databases require a user name that matches the name of the schema.  SQL Server databases require a user as well.  You need to investigate and make sure that the restored database on a different server has the same users and rights associated to it.  This process will require that you have the same password that was used to create the database originally or the default password if that was used.  If the person installing PC originally did not use the default password and you don't know the password, HP can't help you find it.  You will need to find the password by some other means but it is Mandatory to have this password.
  4. Make a backup of your dbid.xml file for Lab Management, then Edit the dbid.xml file for the Lab Management project in the Smart Repository location, edit the DB server name and possibly the instance.  Do not edit this password here because it is encrypted and HP can't fix it for you if you mess up the password here.
  5. Restore the project by pointing to the updated dbid.xml file while on the Lab Management tab not the projects tab
  6. I would suggest that you do a Project Verify and if needed repair
  7. Make the Lab Management project active.

Again, I really suggest that you open a case with HP support to guide you through this or at the very least go though this process in a test environment so you know how to do each step prior to making these changes in your production version of PC.

Regards,

Craig Drummond

HP Premier Support, Technical Account Manager - ALM Products

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I appreciate all of the feedback. We were able to correct our issue with the following:

exec sp_change_users_login 'Report'

exec sp_change_users_login 'Update_One','td','td'

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.