Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Parameterization in winsock data buffer data.ws

Hi,
I am using HTTP and Winsock protocols to record an application. I found the string to parametrize in send buffer in data.ws & I just replaced it with parameter

when I run the test with bunch of parameters
I am expecting a bytes mismatch in receive buffer and it does mismatch with original value, but for all parameters it shows same no of received bytes, which is strange , Am I making a mistake in parameterization?

I also have another question, when I run the script without any parameters the response times shown by LR are much highter than actually observed values , this never happened with scripts recorded using HTTP protocol for some other app.

Thanks
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Parameterization in winsock data buffer data.ws

The fact that you are getting the same number of received bytes for all the values of the parameter indicates that your parameter is wrong or is not in the format that is expected by the server. The received bytes being the same all the time may mean that the application is returning some constant error for all your messages that have parameters. You need to relook at your message and the way your parameters have been used and correct it.Take a look at the server logs while running this and you may figure out the issue.

For your second question,I am not sure what you meant by "actually observed values" is it that you are trying this manually? or you are comparing it with a similar operation in your HTTP scripts?

Thanks
Prashanth Thimmavajjala
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I do know there is something wrong with application of parameterization but can't figure out what it is.

In the second question"actually observed values" is when I try it manually.
Manually a search transactions completes in 2 sec.
After recording script, I add statements to mark start and end of that search transaction and 'verify replay' it notes @ 2 seconds
But when I run the script using LR it gives 18 seconds response time.That is confusing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For the first question: definitely something wrong with the parameterization. Or you have been passing a parameter to which the server can't understand and it is replying back with same message every single time.

Try the parameterization only in a fresh script and also if possible, involve some of the application developer/expert who can verify that the parameter list is having appropriate data!

For second question: Try going to the script option and see if the script has some of the manual think time put in at run time setting. If this is not the case, then we may have to think of something else.

- Pramod
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ok , I have made sure no think time is added to script.
I want to rephrase my problem.

When I recorded and replayed the script, In first couple of runs I got expected result:
"Mismatch in buffer's length (expected 3320608 bytes, 3320604 bytes actually received, difference in 4 bytes"

Even without the paramterization
when I ran the same script next day
all receive buffers in script showed fixed no of 3320 bytes received

So the script itself has become invalid but I don't know why this would happen , is there a timestap somewhere ? or any caching happening ?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

could not get help , starting new thread for specific problem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.