Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Parameterize random alpha characters in LR 9.5

We have an application that needs to have unique values for each record on a last name value...and the value cannot be alpha numeric.

To clear it up the first name value has been hard coded for all records but because the user's name must be unique and the values being fed into the system are separated into first name and last name, the last name must be unique.

So what we need, to avoid having to manually create thousands of alpha character only last names is a way to parameterize a random selection of alpha characters in LoadRunner. We would like to do it just like a Random Number parameter is done. We would start with AAAAAAA and end with ZZZZZZZ.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I have not been able to find anything on it anywhere.

As always, any assistance on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Parameterize random alpha characters in LR 9.5

Sorry, but what kind of system requires that a last name be unique key? I can understand username... or firstname/lastname as a combination... doesn't that seem a bit limiting?

In any case, yes you could write a function that would use the output from a random number generator to select an alpha, but that would be time not well spent. Instead, go to http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/dist.all.last and copy the contents to a spreadsheet, then use those. They have first names as well, go figure.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I agree about the limitations. Unfortunately, I have no role in that part of things. I believe the system looks at the first name and the last name as a combined value even though they are entered into separate fields. With that siad, it still makeslittle sense to me because how many Mike Smiths are there in the world.

Anyway, I never even considered going to a site like that to grab a list of names. That certainly makes things a lot easier. Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Doug,

I have a little app that I wrot that creates unique alpha strings of specified lengths. ( single or dual comma seperated columns) email me at jester43@ecraf.com and I will send you a copy.

Thanks
jesse
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.