Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Perf Monitoring Best Practices

I wanted to draw your attention to the fact that the recently released Service Pack 1 for HP LoadRunner and HP Performance Center includes a “Performance Monitoring Best Practices” book. This is the first installment in the “HP Performance Engineering Best Practices” series that HP Software and Solutions intends to release on the regular basis. We have always recognized the fact that having best practices and methodology would greatly simplify the life of performance engineers and managers, and now we are beginning to fill this need.

The book is available with the SP1 installation. Access it from the product documentation library, or from the Help menu.

To download a copy from the HP Software support site:
1.Go to http://h20230.www2.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals
2.Log in using an HP Passport or register first at http://h20229.www2.hp.com/passport-registration.html and then log in.
3.In the list of HP Software Product Manuals choose either LoadRunner or Performance Center – the book is listed under both.
4.Select Product Version: 9.51 and Operating System: Windows.
5.Click Search.

Since this is the first book in the series covering various aspects of methodology, we would really appreciate your feedback.
Please send your feedback directly to me or lt_cust_feedback@hp.com.
Thanks in advance!

Leo Borisov
Functional Architect
HP Software

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Perf Monitoring Best Practices

Thanks, Leo. I will definitely get back to you on this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Leo,

Thanks much for the link. The explanations of the counters and the inclusion of threshold information is great...and surpasses what I have been able to find via MS Technet (and related links). I will use this more detailed information to dig further into my performance issues.

Performance Tuning Framework came pre-installed on my workstation. Does this incorporate already Performance Center or do I need to download and install?

My issues related to video editing. From the Best Practices Book, there is nothing specific to video editing. Can I make the leap that MS SQL performance is akin to it, with its file access and I/O utilization? Or do you know of other, specific information available on video editing?

Fundamentally, I am trying to get to the bottom of why I have 40-60K page faults with only 40% of physical mem used (Total 4GB). My cache hits and data map hits slam between 100% and 0%, presumably as new video, image and audio files are processed on the timeline.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

KenPC,

You describe interesting problem but in order to assist you I need more info. What application do you use for video editing? Are there application-based metrics you monitor? How many threads are there on average during load? Is it possible that high context switch rate is the root cause for these page faults?

Without knowing details, the common understanding of software and operating system tells us that page faults are likely to occur even without full utilization of all available physical memory. The operating system prefers utilizing virtual memory and not load everything to RAM.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Leo,

Thanks for the reply. I use Sony Vegas Pro version 8 for video editing. I am running Perfmon now to generate data files now, based on Sony not loaded, loaded, running the timeline, and rendering. I am focusing on the recommended counters for the various bottlenecks, like I/O, memory, etc.

I have also recently downloaded the Microsoft Performance Analysis Tool (PAL) to analyze the logs I generate.

I have a system configuration diagram (PDF) if you are interested. I can provide log (BLG) files, too.

Thanks,

Ken
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Ken,

I am not familiar with Sony Vegas but it seems to me that any video related software would be disk intensive and for disk intensive software 40K-60K page faults is not a huge number. Check your task manager on idle time and see how many page faults are there for your mail client, anti virus program and others. Having said that, page faults is still one of the causes for performance degrdation, so I think you should examine the issue from performance objective perspective.
- Is the performance objective violated?
- Does the response time degrade over time while running the test?

If performance objective is not violated then maybe it is not a high severity issue that worth investigating and the behavior is normal. If performance objective is violated please send me a copy of the PDF and BLG in private. I promise to have a look and get back to you, but can't promise it will be in a timely manner as I am pretty busy these days.

Best Regards,
Shlomi Nissim, Functional Architect
LoadRunner and Performance Center
HP Software

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.