Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Performance Center Guidence!

Hi,
I am having some experience in Functional Testing, Now I get a chance to do performance testing using some tools...like Load Runner, Performance Center. I am hereby to calrify the following:

1. Do we have any documents that will explain breifly about Performance Testing basic & concepts?

2. For automation what are all the minimum skills are required and how the tools will helpful?
Note: I think, currently we have load runner, performance center.
For Ex: for Functional testing, QTP will helpful to develop scripts and identify the objest to use in scripts, etc... and Quality Center will helps to keep all the docs that are requirements, TCs, Scripts, Execute TCs (Manual and Automation), enter defects, etc...

3. What are script knowledge is required?

4. If any other skills are required?

I will appreciate if any one helps to me with above concepts.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks,
Punati.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Performance Center Guidence!

Punati,

1) We have manuals for LoadRunner (VUGEN,CONTROLLER, Analysis and Monitors)
Read topics related to your protocols
2) Basic C language skill are required.

Learn LoadRunner functions, and use them in scripts wherever it is required.

See this forum or any other LR forums, to know the issues and solutions.

Thanks
Ravi Allam
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Punati,

Pls take out * mark besides your name,
as you know * means Expert in this area
( Expert in LR )

Thanks
Ravi
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

^ good suggestion 😉

Install the tool and you get all help/guide/tutorial files from within the tool.

QTP does object level recording and LR does protocol based recording.......LR uses c knid of synax for scripting.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Thanks for Quick Response...
Earlier I don't see * mark with name...now only i am observing this. Can you tell how to remove this mark...since i am not an expert...
Thanks,
Subbarao P
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Few more questions...
1. Functional testing we will do manually but I don't think this possible for Performance Testing, Is it correct?
2. In Functional Testing we have some basics to know as terminorlogies, definitions like do we have any to learn for Performance.
For Ex: Testing - Unit, Regression, Functional, Defect life cycles, SDLC, Testing process, terminologies, etc...
Performance - Load Testing, Stress Testing....If any?
3. I heared we have to know the all the scripting (automation) languages, is it correct?
For Ex: If we are testing Java application we need to know JavaScript, VB Application - VBScript required, .Net application - another related script has to know.

Thanks,
Punati
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Punati,

in answer to your 3 later questions

1. Functional testing we will do manually but I don't think this possible for Performance Testing, Is it correct?
2. In Functional Testing we have some basics to know as terminorlogies, definitions like do we have any to learn for Performance.
For Ex: Testing - Unit, Regression, Functional, Defect life cycles, SDLC, Testing process, terminologies, etc...
Performance - Load Testing, Stress Testing....If any?
3. I heared we have to know the all the scripting (automation) languages, is it correct?

1. You are correct, you would need 100 people (and 100 machines) to recreate what you could do with 100 Vusers in LR. Plus, you would have to find some way of syncronizing what these users are doing and how they are doing it.

2.There are just as many if not more terms in performance as there are in functional. There are 8 categories of tests goals (That is just my list). In addition, there are many different terms for each entity (Ex: a Load Generator is sometimes called an Injector Box, depending on whom you are talking to)
3. I don't know about all, but with regard to LoadRunner you may need to know C (about 75% of protocols), VB (COM/DCOM protocol for one), and Java (Java RMI). Depends on how you application communicates with the server.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Punati..

You need to know what performance testing is before you learn about loadrunner.

It is very dangerous to do performance testing without any load testing background.

I recommend you take some training about performance testing.

This forum is only for people who have experience with performance testing and using PC or loadrunner as their daily part of job.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Thanks to all...

Once after discuss in this forum I come to know I should have a complete training and then we can clarify our doubts while working.

Thanks,
Punati.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.