Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Playing back Flash

Hi,
I've to record a scenario where the user plays back a flash video. While recording in Web URL, I see functions like:
web_url("xyz.flv",
"URL=http://www.abc.com/../xyz.flv",
.. .. LAST);
I've correctly captured the download size and verified it. But that gives me the download size & dwnload time only.
My question is, is it possible to capture the play time too? Meaning, it takes xxx secs for 100 users to see the complete video using IE7.
Is this possible?

I've tried using AMF + WEB, FLEX + WEB.

Thanks.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Playing back Flash

Flash applications are downloaded whole and do not generate network requests

LoadRunner records and replays network communication between the client and the server.

Generally, a Flash presentation will be downloaded whole to the client machine and replayed there. In most cases, the download is the end of the client/server interaction (the presentation is now being replayed on the client machine using its resources - memory, cpu, etc.).

You can use the Web/Winsock Vuser type to see if any additional network requests are generated after the presentation is downloaded, but it is exceptional if there is. If no events are recorded as you interact with the Flash presentation, then it is a self contained document that no longer communicates with the server.

In this case, you can think of the Flash presentation as a large image that is being downloaded by the browser (it happens to animate and allow interaction, but that is not significant if it does not communicate to the server). So, VuGen does not need to record the actions within the Flash application, as these actions are not seen by the server.

Also note that the Flash presentation will not replay in the Run-Time Viewer when replaying the script. The Run-Time Viewer is simply a limited browser that does not feature Flash capabilities. Within the script, you should see an action that corresponds to the Flash presentation being downloaded. If this is being downloaded, then the replay is successful.
======================================
Assign points if this helps
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the explanation.
I tried using Winsock protocol and see some events being recorded when I hit Play Video.
Also, in the script, there are a couple of lrs functions with a large think time.
Does this mean that video play time can be derived?

I really need to confirm this as I need to be sure when I write back to my client.

Thanks once again.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

you can use Multi Media Streaming (mms) protocol to test flash application.It is having function to play the video as well.so if you put a transction for this function u can capture the video playback time.

Regards,
Karthik.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Solved
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.