Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Recommended Load Generators for load distribution

Jump to solution

Hello,

Recenetly we migrated our existing load tests to HPE Performance Center. However, our company infrastructure support team has set up only one LG in PC for  max 500 Vusers.  Please let me know if this can be an issue as until now we were dsitrbuting the workload evenly among multiple LGs instead of uisng only one LG for 500 Vusers.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

If you drive all the workload from the Controller then your concern is valid, you should have Controller and Load Generator.

If the Load Generator has fixed IP you can enable IP Spoofing feature to simulate right workload against the Load Balancer and application. It will be better than a couple of more real LGs.

If you need to simulate different network conditions you can use HPE Network Virtualization. It is advised to use it with 12.53 or higher patch level

I agree that one Load Generator is pretty limiting. I believe you should request for more, but keep in mind above suggestions and also the fact that many critical issues can be found with relatively low workload as well.

Regards,

Shlomi 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

It depends on the HW specification of the single Load Generator and the protocols you are using.

Running 500 Vusers of Web (HTTP/HTML) protocol on a single Load Generator is not an issue, but TruClient Vusers will require more Load Generators.

In addition, a single Load Generator will not allow running multiple concurrent tests.

I suggest analyzing your past and current day to day usage and come up with appropriate requirements for Load Generators and Controllers that will satisfy this need.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks Shlomi.  We are using Web HTTP/HTML protocol for our existing tests. I will confirm LGs specs but my concern regarding one LG more on what is recommended by load testing best practices. As per my understanding in order to simulate real life scenario the workload should be distributed on multiple LGs so we can also stress test system load balancing. Therefore, please let me know if we can still accomplish real life scenario goals with only one LGs or there is any limitation with one LG set up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

If you drive all the workload from the Controller then your concern is valid, you should have Controller and Load Generator.

If the Load Generator has fixed IP you can enable IP Spoofing feature to simulate right workload against the Load Balancer and application. It will be better than a couple of more real LGs.

If you need to simulate different network conditions you can use HPE Network Virtualization. It is advised to use it with 12.53 or higher patch level

I agree that one Load Generator is pretty limiting. I believe you should request for more, but keep in mind above suggestions and also the fact that many critical issues can be found with relatively low workload as well.

Regards,

Shlomi 

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.