Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Recording win32 applications

Hi experts,

I need to record a thick client application. application client installed in my system and when ever i opened the application and enter the credentials it will go to next window.

from there for every operation it will fetch data from sybase database.

Which protocol i need to use for this. I tried with com.dcom, windows socket, odbc still no use.

Please advise.

-Krishna Rajapantula.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Recording win32 applications

Hi Krishna,

It may be useful to verify with Protocol Advisor to understand the type of communication and the applicable protocol.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks for your response.

Protocol advisor says odbc,windows socket,com/Dcom protocols.

but when i recoreded with these, i'm able to see the code and script is workign fine but what ever details I entered while recording i'm not able to find those in the script.

I'm not sure it recorded the flow correctly or not.

-Krishna Rajapantula.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Krishna,

Winsock is the best protocol for recording such applications. However, you can also give a try using the Web(HTTP/HTML) protocol and giving the exe location in the recording options and then do the recording, this works sometimes.

If you have access to the queries that your application is generating in the background, then you can directly use the Sybase protocol to connect to the database and run the queries.

Hope it helps

Thanks
Prashanth Thimmavajjala
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Possibly the communication has been captured under winsock protocol. ....
You can view the data.ws file for the details of the requests..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Prashanth and SPP, thanks a lot for your responses.

I tried recording using winsocket and it captrued the data in the script and also in data file i'm able to see the query's related to the actions too.

but when i'm trying to run that script it is taking lot of time than normal. It is taking almost 7 mins to execute that script.

Is there any setting I need to changei n recording options or runtime settings.

Also any correlations will be ther for this protocol.

-Krishna Rajapantula.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Krishna,

Have you captured the Business process in transactions ?
Does it take 7 mins to run the complete script or just a part of it.

Correlation may be required if there is dynamic data, lrs_save_param() could be used for winsock scripts.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

This is for entire application total 4 transactions are there in that.

does it take long time to replaying the script..?

Also how we can ensure that script is chekcing all the actions which we performed while recording.

-Krishna Rajapantula.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Krishna,

You should compare the replay time of a transaction from LR to that of doing manually.It should be approximately similar.

To verify if the action has been performed refer the Replay log- responses from server while turning the advanced trace on in runtime settings.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.