Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

VUsers on VM hosts compared to physical hosts? ...

I'm aware of the fundamental concerns here. But another recent thread got me thinking about this some more.

In a previous implementation I could get maybe 40 TruClient vusers on a physical box with 8 Xeon CPUs and 24 16GB of RAM. But with a VM that has 16 vCPUs and 16GB of RAM I'm struggling to get 25. And it's hitting the ceiling on CPU before RAM.

Of course what those "vCPUs" are supposed to be emulating is anyone's guess. And I'm reasonably confident that our VM implementation is pretty solid. But I wouldn't be shocked to learn that due to some VMWare sharing configuration they could tell me I have 60 vCPUs and it wouldn't make a difference since it's all the same amount of physical hardware underneath.

I'm picturing this something akin to Yogi Berra and the slices of pizza. 🙂

Anyone else run into this phenomenon when when using VMs as hosts that have nominally similiar or better specs?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: VUsers on VM hosts compared to physical hosts? ...

HI,

I really like to see customer responses on this interesting and important question.

Can I just ask if the comparison was done using the same PC/LR version and the same scripts? Meaning apples to apples comparison

Thanks,
Shlomi

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: VUsers on VM hosts compared to physical hosts? ...

Thanks, Shlomi. The previous testing was done on LR I think 12.50 and similar earier versions. For the later tests I've been using PC 12.55 and 12.56.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.