Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VuGen - Recording against an "https with client side certificate" application

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems when trying to record a web application with https that installs a client-side certificate in the browser.

I'm using IE 7 and the certificate was installed correctly, I know this because I can access to the application and browse normally if I do it manually, but when I try to record a script using VuGen, it prompts me again for a certificate and even when I indicate which is the certificate I want to use, it kinda refuses it and the app is hanged up...

I've tried it using either "HTTP" or "Click and Script" protocols in a single protocol script.

My guess is that since the data from the server to the client is encrypted, and since VuGen is in the middle of them, Vugen simply doesn't "understand" what's receiving.

So, I think I should somehow, install the certificate in VuGen too, in order to be able to understand the data that's receiving.

Now, in order to do this, I've tried configuring in "Port Mapping" option (under the Recording Options) setting the capture level to "Socket level data" and I've added a new entry using the following parameters:

Target Server:
Port:
Service ID: (auto detect)
Record Type: Proxy
Connection Type: SSL

SSL Version: 2.x
SSL Ciphers: (Default OpenSsl Ciphers)

and I've also enabled the "use specified client-side certificate (Base64/PEM)"
Client Cert:
Password:

My concerns are these:

1.- I'm not using a proxy, but since the Connection Type for SSL is not enabled in the Direct Record Type, I had to assing it this way.
2.- The certificate extensions recognized by VuGen are ".crt" and ".txt", but the only certificate I've got has a ".cert" extension.

Even when I'm trying to overcome this issue through this Port Mapping option, I would like to know if at least, I'm in the right path to solve it...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Orlett.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

VuGen should not have any problem recording SSL. What version are you using?

When recording SSL with VuGen, VuGen sets itself up as a proxy server and decrypts the data that is recorded.

Alan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Alan,

I'm using LR 9.0 and for VuGen it's just the same (9.0).

And, regarding what you're saying about VuGen setting itself up as a proxy server... Does it matter that the certificate I'm using has a 2048 bit public key?.

Also, the identification algorithm is sha1 and the firm/sign algorithm is sha1RSA.

I don't know what other info. would be relevant in order to overcome this...

Thanks and Regards,

Orlett.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Alan, thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna try setting up the security settings posted in the thread you're referring to, and if it was necessary, maybe even downgrade IE to version 6x.

My concern is that I've been working with IE7 when recording other apps. that do not require a client-side certificate and it's been just fine, until now.

I'm not sure, this issue could be related to the IE version, but it won't harm trying this, right?

If you have any other guesses, please let me know.

I've always believed that brainstorming is one of the best techniques when trying to solve an issue.

Thanks,

Orlett.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

It could be that the security setting mentioned in the configuration will fix your problem. Let us know how it goes.

Alan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am having a similar issue. I have an application that is https://

Now if I am recording with Proxy. the application hangs, it takes user id password and then hangs fopr ever.

So i tried Record type in Server Entry as Direct. Good this is that when I launch it goes to application smoothly, does not hang, but when I stop the recording - guess what, i do not get any test script. It is empty.

Any help would be welcome!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Any help expert i am facing the same issue

Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.