Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

how many vusers can be supported by a load generator

Jump to solution

Hi ,

we are facing a situation where we have a license for 11000 users , yet when we distribute 10,000 users over 10 load generators we do not see more than 7000 users hitting the application .

We added two more load generators and now we can see 8000 users ,
Does this mean that the Load generators cannot handle more than around 700 users at a time .

We also tried to isolate the problem , by running 1000 users on one load generator and that worked .

But in a complete scenario with 10,000 users it just does not work ?

Does anyone have any ideas ?
thank s
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: how many vusers can be supported by a load generator

Jump to solution
There use to be a spread sheet with some guide lines as far as users per generator for the different protocols. It was here:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM169360

I have attached the document.

Also, I know in the past there was a limit set in an .ini file I believe to the number of users a generator can run for specific protocols. If your generators have enough head room for more users you may need to find this setting and increase it to allow the generator to run more users.

Alan

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
This is based on many factors like machine resources, protocol your are using, script size etc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Would there be a document for this . This is quite puzzling as to why we cannot run the number of users that we have a license for

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Is it possible that there is some configuration that we need to do at our end for this ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
There is no document which can explain or no direct answer to your initial query. You need to go for a benchmark test and check how much it can handle. As I mentioned there may be many factors, I would first suggest you to check what is the error it is throwing when overloaded. Based on that, we may get some clue and dealt further.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

it just times out after that load . the error is the same

:1, Connection to ...failed
2. response byte header contains zero bytes
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Suleena,

Few questions from my end:-

1. Is these errors are from a specific injectors?
2. Do these 10 injectors is of same LR version?
3. Do the injectors machine have similar configuration in terms of h/w?

Suggestion from my end:-

1. Also during the failure try to ping the application manually.Check whether the application respons properly.
2. Do have a closer look on the network traffic when the failure start's to occur.

My thoughts:

Benchmarking each injectors seperately give's idea on its vusers handling capacity.But you already mentioned that 1000 vusers are supported.I guess it's better to give a try on the above suggestion.

thanks
SG

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi,

answers are as :

1. These errors say that the application server cannot be connected to ..timeout. no errors shown by the injectors .

2. At the same time if we re distribute the load to a few more load generators , then the no. of users is dramatically increased .

3. But we have already setup 15 Load gens. for just a load of 10,000 users and are still at a threshold of 9950 users .

4. Initially with 10 LG's we were able to send a load of 7K users only.

5. Then with addtl/ LG's we ramped this up to 9950 users

6. What is strange is that if we run just one LG for 1000 users it works fine , so the problem is not at the LG end.

7. Why does the application not allow the LG's to send traffic when they are all doing that concurrently?

8. Is there a parameter at the receiving end that is not allowing a concurrent load from a set of LG's , whereas when we increase the LG's the problem goes away .

Please let me know if I should send you more information ?

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
There use to be a spread sheet with some guide lines as far as users per generator for the different protocols. It was here:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM169360

I have attached the document.

Also, I know in the past there was a limit set in an .ini file I believe to the number of users a generator can run for specific protocols. If your generators have enough head room for more users you may need to find this setting and increase it to allow the generator to run more users.

Alan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for the documents.

What is strange is that when I run just 1000 users on one LG it works fine . But if we run 10,000 on ten LGs it fails .

If it was an issue with the LG, then the 1000 users run separately should fail as well ?

What do you think?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

The document link .. when i select that I get the unable to access page .

We do have a support contract with HP and I can access all the other documents but not this .
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
I have not seen the attachment.

I use to prepare hardware specs based on protocol and no.of.vusers

for web 1-user uses footprint of 1MB....if you are running huge load tests, you should be very careful in choosing the LG...you can use Unix box as LG.

I would suggest you to log a support case and explain this issue.....I am sure there are several other considerations for high volume load testing.

All The best !
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.