Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

loadrunner and linux

Hi all,

I am a bit new to load runner. My question is, how can i interact with a linux machine using load runner. To put it as an example, i know the ip address,username and password of a linux machine. With these details i need to connect to that linux machine and then do a basic 'ls' or 'll' request there and then logout of that linux machine.

Does any protocol in loadrunner which helps in doing this?

Can somebody help me in this? i need to do this from a windows machine where my loadrunner is installed.

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Re: loadrunner and linux

Which version of LR u r using?? if u r using version 9.5X or more then u can use the protocol advisor....or else u can try two protocols like RMI or winsock....though i am not sure....better to use protocol advisor..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks Prasenjit .. i am using the version 9.5.. ok i will try checking with the protocol advisor...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kinldy elaborate about your requirement. Do you need to perform any kind of front-end activity which hits the linux servers and then monitor the linux box's performance? If that is the case you can use a third party monitoring tool site scope.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks srinivas,
Actually my requirement is, i need to connect to a linux machine using my loadrunner script. Normally from windows machine we use the tool Putty for connecting to a linux machine. I need to do the same using my loadrunner script without using any tools. So when i run the load runner script, it should establish a connection to the linux machine and perform some operations and then exit from that linux machine. Is this possible through loadrunner scripts?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dear Kandy,
you have not mentioned your requirement.base on your question i understood that
1.you have to login in to Linux server.
2.you have to run ls and ll commands in prompt.

if yes no need to do with loadrunner just install putty and connect to Linux server through it and automate it by "Autoit".
so your probs will be solved
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Savyasachi ,

My requirement is to develop a script in loadrunner which will establish a connection with a linux machine and perform some operations there as i mentioned like doing a ls or ll or it could be any and then exit from than linux machine.
I need to do this using the loadrunner script and i don't want to use any tool like putty.
Does any protocol in loadrunner support this functionality or any other way to do this?

The thing is, when i run my script it should establish a connections with the linux machine, perform some operations there as recorded (or) specified and then exit from the linux machine.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For Charecter user Interface testing like linux box testing , Try the protocol called Terminal Emulator which is available in LR 9.5 . You can Find this protocol in the all protocol list .
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.