Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Anybody use Notepad++ for a script editor in VuGen?

I'm not crazy about the VuGen script editor.  Has anybody set up Notepad++ as an alternative?

Jim

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Anybody use Notepad++ for a script editor in VuGen?

Hi Jim,

Scripts action files for most of the protocols (like Web - HTTP/HTML) are basically code files in C language, JavaScript, and a few others, so editing them in any text editor is technically possible.

However, VuGen is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) dedicated to developing performance testing script and as such, offers unique features aimed at helping to design better tests in a shorter time.

some VuGen features are hard to do in external editors (creating manual correlations, parameterizing, investigating logs etc.), while others are virtually impossible outside of VuGen (recording, snapshots, automatic correlations and many more).

I strongly advise using VuGen for creating and editing your scripts. If you have suggestions for improving it, let us know.

Edo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

@Edo, If you have suggestions for improving it, let us know.

Compile time bug in a script are simple to identify and fix, but runtime errors not. Soimproving the syntax checker on those things saves time.

For C-code:

One of the things is that many functions have variable arguments and 'LAST' is used as sentinel. So check on the existing, or when one uses function-name completion, just put ',LAST)' automaticall after the cursor. More advanced would be to have an assist on each possible parameter, that list should be shorter when more parameters are used. Als a missing feature is assist on the LR defines when functions have positional arguments.

P.S.

Sometimes I fall back to VIm for complex edits, but the nice thing is that VuGen sees when a file is changed and you can reload is easily so take best of both worlds.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to forward it for review and consideration.
I can relate to the VIm fallback habit 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.