Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Can I virtualize LoadRunner if we use TruClient as the primary protocol?

The basic question is really this: Can I run LoadRunner TruClient on OpenStack virtual machines?

I have been tasked to virtualize our performance testing infrastructure. This seems like a reasonable thing to ask, but is proving problematic as our team uses the LoadRunner TruClient protocol almost exclusively, with occasional usage of the Web HTTP/HTML protocol.

Current state: 25 Engineering class Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit OS desktop computers with 16 MB of RAM and Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 processors running at 3.60 GHz. LoadRunner 12.55.

Desired state: "On Prem" cloud solution, i.e. OpenStack VM's.

On the physical hardware I can run 100 LoadRunner 12.55 TruClient Virtual Users. At this load, the Windows Resource Monitor shows 22% CPU utilization and 98% used memory.

On OpenStack VM's I can only run 20 LoadRunner 12.55 TruClient Virtual Users. At this load I begin to receive the LoadRunner Controller error message that the Generator CPU utilization has exceeded 80%.

I have tried several OpenStack flavors, with the most recent one being c3.4xlarge with 16 VCPUs, 32 GB of RAM and 80 GB of Disk.

LRDetect says that I only have 2 cores running on the OpenStack VM.

I have tried getting help from the Microfocus/HPE support team but there does not seem to be anyone that is familar with OpenStack (which I think is very much like AWS, so I was surprised).

Ideas?

Options?

Randy at Deere
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Can I virtualize LoadRunner if we use TruClient as the primary protocol?

Hello Randy,

Thank you for your question. 

Regarding to this, Virtualizing shouldn't be a problem with LR. The only thing that you have to consider is that those VM that you will have, have to acomplish the same specifications that a physical machines has to acomplish. As you know, TC consumes a lot more of resources than another protocol just for being GUI protocol.

There is no documentation about LoadRuneer with OpenStack so, could you please answer me the following questions to see if it has some compatibility issues with LR?:

I have some questions regarding this OpenStack machine.

• Does it have hyperthread enabled?
• What type of CPU topology are you using (SMP, NUMA, SMT)?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

I've good experience with TruClient LGs running in AWS. You enter an complete new world when build / setup your own virtualization. I think that this is more an issue related to OpenStack then to what applications you gonna deploy on top of the VMs that run within OpenStack. 

As stated before CPU topology is important, but also do not overcommit resources too much. Driver can be critical as well as what do you virtualize (CPUs, NW, IO...). The more you virtualize the more flexibility, but also the more it costs.

You have to look test tools that test each aspect of your setup and validate that against your expectations.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Thank you very much for the replies...

Question 1: Am I the only LoadRunner person trying to virtualize TruClient?

Question 2: Am I the only LoadRunner person trying to use OpenStack to do the virtualization?

I ask Queston 1 because I am finding that to replace 20 desktop Windows 7 computers with OpenStack VM's, I will need 125+ VM's to handle the workload. Note: I am only getting 3 TruClient Virtual Users on a VM when I start getting the "80% CPU utilization" warning from the Controller.

I ask Question 2 because I see mention of AWS and VMWare in discussions of virtualizing LoadRunner Generators, but that's all I see.

For a couple of questions that I was asked (hyperthreading and CPU topology), I am waiting for a reply from my OpenStack subject matter experts.

Randy at Deere
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.