Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Community Edtion of LoadRunner and commercial use

Hi, I think I'm blind. I'm trying to show to my customer (I'm a consultant) whether the Community Edition of LoadRunner might or might not be used commercially,  but I do not find the passage outlinging this.

I'm thinking about the situation where one might want to wet the appetite for LoadRunner as a tool amongst agile developing teams when they've started to run into different limitations of other tools. Would it be possible to spread a lot of COmmunity Edition instances to all the teams to be experimented with and to getting started with just getting things working - and then running better load tests with larger numbers using the existing installation(s)?

Could you please supply a link to the relevant EULA and the article inside it?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Community Edtion of LoadRunner and commercial use

Hi,

We have customers who are doing exactly what you said and build their DevOps strategy this way. I am not sure if it is allowed or not by the EULA, I think it is the whole essence of the community edition, but I am not the legal authority.

I do know it is not allowed to provide consulting services using the community edition. Not hinting you are doing so 🙂
it is also not allowed using multiple instances of the community edition in order to drive aggregated workload than is higher than 50 Vusers in order to avoid paying for license or support.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello Shlomi, according to Microfocus Sweden, the gist of the Community Edition is "no commercial use".
Running a PoC? Yes.
Running 50 vu each day on a component to verify changes, does it still perform well? No.

This is a blocker for my customer which is switching strategy. Lets run, say 80 - 90 % of the different products the teams are respeonsible for, with a free tool (it's pretty big and has a name starting with J). Actually, it's not the FREE part which is the important part. It's the "easy to use without asking anyone". The rest? Take the risk in production, lean on the supplier of third party products, add development time for plugins to the main tool. Supplement with APM tooling.

LoadRunner in this scenario is a hazzle. Yes, we can split the "large perpetual license" into several "small licenses" but can we do it inside of 5 minutes? 5 hours? 5 days? 5 weeks? When we do it the tenth time this month? How?

Shlomi, I see great subject for a clarifying blog text from the Microfocus management. You are right, this is not a question for R&D. It's a question for management and business. (OK, that last "how" gives you at R&D something to write about too!)

Thank you for the quick answer Shlomi, even if I'm not clear on the path Microfocus has choosen for LoadRunner.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Shlomi, thank you for reminding us! Most of the time it’s pretty clear what is and what isn’t allowed. I'm a great believer of adhering to rules. So if Microfocus says "no commercial use" for Community Edition, then, no commercial use it is.

Regarding what more isn't allowed: I'm talking about one product/system under test at each team - let them experiment with performance test activities, see what the right kind of results are for them, and use that single controller to run load. 

And the next team does the same with its single controller. 

Some teams start out and learn how to script, how to monitor, running a PoC. Other buy into VUD's or perpetual licenses to pay for the value the load tests deliver. (Even free tools draw a lot of costs for the team.)

From a technical standpoint, it's next to useless to have ten controllers with load generators each pushing 50 vu worth of load - and from a work flow viewpoint, what a hassle to try to piece together the results. What a hassle to even have all ten controllers start and stop. No thank you.

The way forward is to adjust (part of) performance test to the same agile ways of working as all the other development and test efforts are running. Let the team control what it needs inside this sprint. Don't have the team wait on some non-team member to conduct some performance tests for them sometime later when it's not relevant any more. Either the team does it in this sprint or no one does it. Of course, the teams often need someone to help getting started. To help the team to navigate the knowledge space of performance test. To help them choose their vocabulary. For a start, what does the team say for what kind of test? Load test, stress test, stability test, capacity measurement, reference test, baseline ... to help them getting fluent in ordering machines, licenses, etc, etc. I really hope THIS isn't what you mean by "to provide consulting services using the community edition". If so, speak up clearly. It would be a shame if LoadRunner can't be used to grow the perofrmance test business. Remember, all the drive is to get business value out of performance testing using a suitable tool minimizing the total cost (i.e., most of the time it is to use the tool which can do the most; here LoadRunner shines) – and to pay for what is being used.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Klaus,

I am pretty sure Micro Focus team in Sweden know better than I am. They master the business aspects and I am just R&D member who wants "his" product to be used as much as possible.

I will follow-up on this topic internally and see whether we can clarify better the terms of use and maybe tweak them a bit in favor of shift left use cases.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you Shlomi.

I've noted to our sales representative the information on https://software.microfocus.com/sites/default/files/resources/files/lr_pc_12.55_license_bundles.pdf is on the confusing side.

The ONLY information about Community bundles is: free of charge.
There is nothing about "restrictions apply".

If the intended use for these bundles really is "no commercial use", even for licensed customers, then it might be smart to be clear about this instead of (here comes a subjective feeling) luring customers into heading into the direction of making it effortless for agile teams to start using LoadRunner by using Community Edition of LoadRunner. (I might of course have doubts about how wise such a decision is businesswise, but it is not my role to dictate to Microfocus how to sell, market och spread LoadRunner.)

Kind regards,
Klaus Zeuge

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.