Highlighted
New Member.

Difference between Load Runner and Load Generator

Hi all,

I am new to load runner and would like to install it on a Ubuntu 16.04 server version. However I am not sure it allows installation on this OS. Reading through the installation manual, chapter 2 talks about installing load runner on windows while chapter 3 talks about installing load generator on Linux.

Please can you explain to me the difference and how I am supposed to go about it. I will appreciate your response.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Difference between Load Runner and Load Generator

Hi Kums,

LoadRunner is the entire tool / solution and contains all components. As such - it can be installed only on a windows OS.

If you install in a distributed mode (i.e. all parts installed separately on dedicated servers) - you can install the Load Generator, the module that injects the actual load on the AUT, on a Linux OS.

As you are a newcomer to the tool, I recommend you start with reading the documentation, go through the tutorial and I believe you'll have a better understanding of the different components.

Hope this helps,

Lior 

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will look through the tutorial. I already used the tutorial by guru99, but will have a look at the one you sent me.

Can you please enlighten me on this. I have an application deployed on a Ubuntu server and would like to use Load Runner for testing and since I can't install load runner on Ubuntu, what is the best approach to use. I want to keep the issue of internet connectivity out of it, although I read that one can configure Load Runner to simulate the bandwidth needed.

Thank you and looking forward to your response.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

As a rule - do not install LoadRunner (or the Load Generator) on the same server as your AUT is installed on. This will lead to wrong measurements and will create a bad run.

If you're AUT is in a data center, you can install LoadRunner on a different server and load that AUT from the same data center.

Network connectivity is always a factor to consider when running load test and should not be ignored if you need to test user experience of your application as well.

Thanks,

Lior

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.