Highlighted
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Does LoadRunner's RDP recording process support load balanced connections

Hi all, I am helping a client evaluate LoadRunner 12.53 for recording and replaying
an application which they access remotely via RDP.

The application is started by running a .rdp configuration file which transparently
opens a connection and runs the application on one of a number of servers in their RDS farm.
There is load balancing involved, which means it is not possible to specify in advance which host
will handle each connection. They want to prove load is balanced as more connections are created
and that at peak load each host is well below any resource limits.

When I configure the .rdp file in the Recording options and try to record the RDP traffic,
from the user's perspective the session is as expected, but nothing is actually recorded
by LoadRunner in the script. There is not even an rdp_connect_server() call.

I have tested that RDP protocol traffic can be recorded using a basic RDP connection to a
single test server. The calls look as expected. So the o/s settings would seem to be
compatible with LoadRunner for simpler RDP recordings.

Does any one know if load balancing and redirection settings in .rdp files are supported?

Or are we obliged to explicitly identify the host to connect to in RDP scripts?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Does LoadRunner's RDP recording process support load balanced connections

Hi Acutester,  

Thanks for your feedback. We're looking into this issue and will update when we can. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Acutester,

We support basic rdp service.
Load balancing and redirection are currently not supported.

If your customer need to use it, they can raise a ticket with HPE R&D support stating that this functionality is needed and it will be handled through that channel.

Thanks,

Maggie

Highlighted
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Maggie

Thanks for the prompt reply - I will discuss with client and we will decide what to do. Given timescales for this, I am steering them to consider a simpler approach by-passing any load balancing for the recording process.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.