Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From where do I know when should I use a monitor over firewall architecture?

Jump to solution

Is it always necessary to set up an MI Listener and a Monitor-over-firewall machine/setup in case of remote servers (do remote servers always have firewall?)?

Even for example in case when I want to use a simple windows resource graph on a remote server or is it enough to use only a controller machine in this case, and connect to the server directly from there?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: From where do I know when should I use a monitor over firewall architecture?

Jump to solution

Hi Gula,

the answer to "do remote servers always have a firewall" is dependant on your system architecture.

A system that is distributed between different geographies should have several FWs between its components. In this case, the recommended setup is to use MI Listener and Monitor Over Firewall for your monitoring needs.

You may encounter a situation where a FW rule was created to allow all communication between the controller and the application under test, in which case you don't need MI Listener or MOF, but that is rarely the case.

Hope this helps.

Lior

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: From where do I know when should I use a monitor over firewall architecture?

Jump to solution

Hi Gula,

the answer to "do remote servers always have a firewall" is dependant on your system architecture.

A system that is distributed between different geographies should have several FWs between its components. In this case, the recommended setup is to use MI Listener and Monitor Over Firewall for your monitoring needs.

You may encounter a situation where a FW rule was created to allow all communication between the controller and the application under test, in which case you don't need MI Listener or MOF, but that is rarely the case.

Hope this helps.

Lior

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Lior,

Thanks for your continuous, valuable answers/explanations.

Gula

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Happy to help 🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.