Valued Contributor.

Help needed to configure agent over a firewall on Loadrunner

Hello,

I need some help and some assistance please, my problem is the following:

I have 3 machines:

- the machine where the Controller is installed

- The machine used as a Generator

- The machine used as MI Listener

on the the Controller I add a generator but connection is impossible due to firewall (and impossible to change firewall settings due to company policies)

I've installed MI listener on one machine, what should I do install it as Loadrunner or Performance Center ?

what is the difference between Agent service and agent process

I connect to the Generator machine, go to Agent Configuration and set "enable Firewall Agent" and fill the settings:

MI Listener name: I put the IP adress or the machine where listener is installed

Local Machine  key: is it a  name to identify the generator ? for example I put generator1

+ I put the MI Listener machine user/pwd/domain

I restart the Gennerator, and I see the LoadRunnerAgent under service is running

I go to controller, launch the Controller, I add a loadgenerator, on details>connect I addthe MI Listener IP and the port 50500

on the listener machine with netstat -a I see : TCP 0.0.0.0:50500 ..... LISTENING

when I try to Connect the Generator it don't work

I do not know why, I need help please

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Help needed to configure agent over a firewall on Loadrunner

Hi,

Part of the difference between PC mode to LR mode is the Agent configuration. In PC mode it is configured to run as service while in LR it is configured to run as process. In LG installation there is one more difference and in LR full installation there several more changes. When it comes to thw MI Listener, the only difference is the agent configuration.

Running the agent as a service allows keeping the machine logged out (more secured). When it runs as a process you will have logon to Windows and possibly lock the machine (for security reasoning). BTW, it is possible to install the MIL in LR mode and configure the agent later using the Agent Runtime Settings utility.

No need to apply any special settings on agent on the listener machine.

On the LG machine, you should configure the agent
> Enable Firewall agent should be set on the LG machine only. 
> Local machine key is an arbitrary name: "generator1" is good. 
> MI Listener IP is required. No need to put user, password and domain.
After applying the agent settings, the agent is restarted. Look at the agent icon in Windows system tray. You should see a green light appearing indicating that the connection to the MI Listener was successful. If you cannot find agent icon in the system tray, check the agent log under C drive. Do you have any errors? Look at the error time and make sure it is relevant for the last try.

On the Controller machine you should:
1.  Open the Network Profile Manager (from Controller's Tools menu)
2. Add a new network profile, in the connection mode choose "Connect via MI Listener". Specify the name/IP and the port (I assume the default port should remain as is).
3. Confirm the settings
4. Open the Load Generator dialog. In the name field use the Local Machine Key. 
5. Open the LG details dialog. In the connection tab choose the network profile that stores the MIL connection.
6. Try to connect to the LG

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.