Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

How are transaction response times impacted when a step verification is added in TruClient

Hi,

In Web (HTTP/HTML) protocl scripts we do a step verification using the web_reg_find LR function so similarly in my TruClient scripts within a transaction I am adding a generic object action with either a 'Verify' or 'Get Visible Text' in the step action to verify if I get the required result for my critical transactions.

Now my question here is the end event of recorded business step is set to 'Document Loaded' or 'DOM Content Loaded'  so is it still required to add the verification using generic object action to validate the required result of the step?

I use a third part tool called "HTTP Watch" to capture End-to-End client response times and when compared with Truclient transactions I see a difference of atleast 20-30% where TruClient transactions have taken more time than HTTP Watch recorded transactions.

Need some suggestion/guidance here.

Thanks,

Bibhu Panda.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How are transaction response times impacted when a step verification is added in TruClient

Hello Bibhu,

1. Regarding verification steps. There is no standard or best practice around it. I sugest using them whenever

> You must ensure specific data appears on screen 

> When there is no other UI object related step in the context of the transaction (e.g. if you have only Navigate step in the transaction, the navigation step might end but the application will not be in the desired state)

You can use also Wait for object or any other object related step. If the object is not found the step will fail and the transaction will fail as a result as well

2. Regarding the comparison with HTTP watch. This is not an apple to apple comparison. TruClient measures response time based on certain set of events and HTTP watch measures network/http traffic only. TruClient measures response time from user point of view and not from "technical" request/response point of view

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Re: How are transaction response times impacted when a step verification is added in TruClient

Hey Shlomi,

Sorry for responding you late.

Below is the reason why I asked what is the best way to validate an action being ended/checked properly:

-> I debuged the response time values obtained, one by changing the end even in action step to "Object Exists" and highlight the corresponding object in result action step and the other way was to add an "Wait for Object"/"Generic Object Action" with the step as "verify"/"wait for an object".

The response time captured with the step "changing the end even in action step to Object Exists" was much lesses than the other method and even the response times much more closer to what we obtained from HTTP Watch or stop watch method.

Sorry for stressing on HTTP Watch method even though you are correct that HTTP watch measures network/http traffic only, so we tried to measure the response times using stopwatch too.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere in my debugging method and observations. Also need more clarity here as measuring client side rendering time correctly is high priority here.

Thanks,

Bibhu Panda.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Bibhu,

I will examine it further and get back to you. In the meanwhile assuming you measure a navigation step, can you set the end event to "Step network completed" and compare the timing?

Which version are you using?

Thanks,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Ok, I will get back to you with response time comparison after changing the end event step.

I am using LR ver 12.53 with Patch 2.

Thanks,

Bibhu Panda.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

We did further inquiry internally.

While we did see some impact with verification step, the difference in response time between end event of object exist comparing to action completed with verify step was not significant. when taking into account the average value of 20 samples of the same transaction.

If in your case the response time is always impacted or higher I suggest opening a support ticket

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.