Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

How to make VuGen scripts robust to application changes

Hello Team,

I have been working on a web application and use LoadRunner to load test the application. Often when there are changes made to the application and patch deployed, we usually have a scenario of re-scripting the same business flows since the previous scripts fail due to certain failures (If possible we tweak the same scripts). This leads to new effort estimations and delay in delivery timelines. I just wanted to know if there is any approach ( less dependent on HTTP layer to record the requests ) to make the VUGen scripts robust and less susceptible to applicationpatch deployments (considering Web applications for now).

Thanks,

Manu

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: How to make VuGen scripts robust to application changes

Hi,

Below are my  suggestion for scripting in non stable environment:

1)Record the script with HTML (Explicit URL) and Use "Embedded non HTML resource with the request". This will help you to add all the Non- Html pages such as css,js, jpg, etc within the parent request. Recording with this type will help to analyse the missing request needed for correlation.

2)Comment the non- HTML resources if the css, jpg, gif,etc in the EXTRARES so that it will not affect the script. Also all the request which is commented will be replayed due to hitting the parent request.

3)Parameterise the URL by using lr_get_attrib_string for frequent environment change.

4)Possible try to keep the login portion dynamic. If the login page is frequently changed, please reuse from one script to the rest of the script to reduce the time taken to rescript.

Regards,

Raghul M

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thanks Raghul for your valuable feedback.

Please find my queries below

For suggestion 1 - could you please explain how this would reduce my effort of rescripting when there is a modificaton deployed to the application ( say a new version/release of application is deployed)

On suggestion 3 - The scenario I have is with change beying deployed in the target application software and not application software being deployed into the new environment where there is URL change.

On suggestion 4 - This partially makes sense for login section which is valid for my scenario

I hope my scenario is clear. The context is that we work in agile mode there are frequent changes released to the application and needs to be tested for performance impact within stringent timelines. Usually such changes to the application causes prominent amount of changes to loadrunner scripts.

Open to suggestions from all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

My suggestion would be to wait for system to be stable for doing the performance testing. In some project, lot of Performance Tester will follow the methods which i have mentioned.

If application is completely changing, then i would like you  to prefer devops tool.

Regards,

Raghul M

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Obviously the application is stable. But when you work in agile methodology with sprints of two weeks you cannot keep rescripting the critical business flows of the application. You will have just two weeks of time to script, run performance tests, analyze and engineer the solutions. Hence I am trying to figure out a way which will help me to reduce effort on rescripting.

Open to suggestions from all.

Thanks,

Manu

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

If you do not need to validate the performance with many Vusers maybe it would be easier to test the application usng TruClient in the early phases of the development. Once the application is more mature you can switch to Web(HTTP\HTML).

Regards,

Shlomi

Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thanks Shlomi.

Now, this definitely forms the platform for discussion.

I am new to TrueClient and based on your suggestion tried that with my application:) This would definitely help. I have read the literature behind TrueClient.

But I have got one question. Why are you emphasizing on 'less number of users'?
Is it because its resource intensive?

Also if you could just give me a gist about TC with respect to how it works, limitations etc. , that would help.

You may even route me to some HP literature on TC.

Thanks Again

Manu

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Manu,

TruClient is a browser based solution. It automates the user actions in the DOM and browser level, for this reason a Vuser runs in a real browser process thus has large footprint.

TruClient online documentation is available on http://tchelp.saas.hpe.com/

You can listen to introduction session about TruClient on http://www.vivit-worldwide.org/?page=111114ABCs

and a more advanced session on http://www.vivit-worldwide.org/?page=11515ABCsIII

I also suggest searching for TruClient on Google and YouTube. Some of the materials are relevant to older versions but it still gives a good idea of what it is

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.