Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Huge difference in Transaction Response Time of Summary report and Raw Data

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are using 12.53 LoadRunner to test a web application's performance.

We are running a 48 user load testing of 4 scenarios with 12 Vusers/Scenario. In one of the Scenario, one transaction's response time is showing as 2.45 secs Avg. in Summary report and for the same Transaction it is showing 24.5 in Raw data, 10 times more than the Summary report. 

it was a 12 mins test for all the 4 scenarios and out of 25 plus Transactions this issue of difference is 

seen for about 7 Transactions.

Can someone explain what can be the reason for such a big difference?

Which is correct?

FYI, even for a single user test of the same, it is the same issue.

I appreciate for any help on this.

Ram

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Huge difference in Transaction Response Time of Summary report and Raw Data

Jump to solution

Hi Ram,

After reviewing the session i have concluded the difference between graph data and raw data is because of think time functions that you have inside the context of the transactions. The raw data includes think time while graph data is configurable according to LoadRunner Analysis filter. By default Analysis excludes think time, if you change the graph filter or global filter to include think time the timing will match.

The best practice is not to include think time in the context of the transaction. It should be placed in between transactions.

Best Regards,

Shlomi

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Ram,

Please configure Analysis application to create complete data all the time.  This can be done from Analysis > Tools Menu > Options > Results Collection tab. By default Analysis displays summary data and then creates completes data. Maybe the difference you see is because you look first at summary level data (which is much more aggregated data) and then you compare with the complete data.

If you look at complete data to begin with, then you should be comparing, min, max values first and then calculate the average and not comapre with a single value of the transaction instance from the raw results.

What is the standard deviation of these 7 transactions in Analysis > Transaction Response Time graph? From your description it sounds to me like the application does not generate consistent response times and there is relatively high deviation.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am sorry for posting multiple times. I am doing it as I am not seeing my reply in the query:

Hi Shlomi,

Thanks for your response.

1). Results collection tab was set with 'Generate Complete Data only' option.

2). The Standard deviation for the two transactions that I am sharing the screen shot is 0.053 and 0.079 respectively.

3). I am sharing the screen shots in the attached document for the two transaction which shows both the Sumamry report info and the Raw data info.

I appreciate all your help.

Regards

Ram

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Ram,

Can you please attach the screenshots or document? Your post didn't include it.

Also, if you can share the Raw Results with me, let me know. I will have a look at it on my computer.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Shlomi,

For some reason I am unable to attach the document with screen shots or even the Raw data. 

Can you please let me know any email that I can send the documents to.

Regards

Ram

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I will send you a private message. It is not allowed to share emails here.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sure, Thank you

Ram

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Shlomi,

By any chance did you send the message to me for the email?

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, a couple of days ago.. I sent it via the messaging interface of this community. Click on the small mail icon that appears near your name after you sign in.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi rmgunta

Couple of questions:

1. The transaction you see the difference, how many times this transaction passed? Whats the minimum and max response time for that transaction?

2. You cannot compare avg response time in Summary Report with the Raw Data. FYI Raw data will give all the response times for that transaction for all occurences.

Example : If 5 times this transaction passed and if we got the values as 1.0 ,2.0,3.0, 4.0, 9.5 . In this case Avg response time in summary report we see avg is total of all 5 values 19.5/5 times = 3.9 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Shlomi,

It was single user test result documents that I have shared with you. So I was assuming Min, Max and Avg everyhting should be same. FYI, we are seeing this problem with Multiple users also.

BTW I am not seeing this issue of difference when I check the Graph data (Almost looks like Raw data), ....this issue is noticed only with Raw data.

Did you get two files? One is word document with screen shots and the other is "Session1-April10th-1". I will re-send it again just in case if you have not got it.

Regards

Ram

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

With a single Vuser that is strange. Might be related to the aggregation options in the Analysis application.

Try with single Vuser and single transaction. 

BTW: I think you tried sending me the session but it was blocked by exchange server. Please place it on some dropbox and share a link via email.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.