NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.
Highlighted
New Member.

Infrastructure Testing and Performance Testing

Hi,

What is the difference between Aplication Performance Testing and Infrastucture Performance Testing?

What types of tests are carried out for Infrastructure testing. I understand that Response time would be the important SLA but what else do I plan for the Infrastructure testing.

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think infrastructure testing is comprised of everything, hardware, software, servers, the aplication, all these components which make up the infrastructure, while application is just what we normally do and concentrate on particular software app.

Response time is more of a test objective rather than a type of test. There are different types of tests, like component testing, load testing, stress testing and volume testing.

Check around online, there are plenty of resources for this.

Regards,

Mario M.

HP LR/PC Support

If you are customer you can try posting on our internal forums for more personalized support.

LoadRunner:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LoadRunner-Support-Customer/bd-p/loadrunner-support-customer-forum

Performance Center:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Performance-Center-Support/bd-p/performance-center-support-customer

How to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ChlysWupWM

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

in my opinion the Application testing is more on the software you are testing while the infrastructure is the other components in the software. for example is the software running in a 3-tiered setup? is the load balancer distributing the right load? does your database can handle the load when you hit that software? etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

I agree with you. Is there any exhaustive list which I should take care when performing the Infrastructure Testing.
Also, Operational Accetance test (DR, Failover) and Infrastrutre tests are 2 diffrent areas. Correct me if i wrong.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

actually you have to dig in deeper on what Application testing your project team/contact needs...its really a research task at first before you could do your magic in scripting it in Vugen. so you have to ask the "technical expert/lead" that you are working with so that you can have a "bigger picture" of what would your application testing will do. ask for a walkthrough as well on how would the users would do if they are going to use the system/software/application. from there you can branch out to what would be the architecture diagram of it? what are your target server(s)? what other entities you need to watch out? is the cache servers going to be a factor? is it internal or external testing? Internal customers that is mostly going to use that application/software while external is the customer facing type.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.