Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Is it possible to amalgamate 2 test runs into one analysis?

Hi,

I have encountered a bottleneck with my test which means I need to run the same test on 2 controllers in parallel.

Is it possible for me to take both sets of results and amalgamate them into one?

Cheers,
J

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Is it possible to amalgamate 2 test runs into one analysis?

Now you got me curios, what use case warrants to run a load test through two controllers simulanously?

It would be really nice if you are able broaden my horizon. How many virtual users are you using?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi,

We need to use VTS for our scenario purposes.  We have a 2 x 1000 vuser licesnce.  When we use all 2000 on one VTS, it bottlenecks and slows down our pacing rate.

So, I'd like to install 1000 licenses across 2 controllers because I tested VTS with 1000 connections and there weren't any issues at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Now this was interesting. I haven't run into the VTS bottle neck, not yet, but I am looking out for it.
My primary idea for that situation is to have several VTS servers but still only one controller. I guess you have tried that already, haven't you?

By the way, are you running the classical third party add on (loading the VTS dll file) or using the newer interface where VTS has been incorporated by HPE into LoadRunner?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Unfortunately we're stuck with the kit we've got as we're hosted in a data centre.

I'm tinkering around with using multiple instances but I can see that struggle during rampup.  I'm using the new browser based VTS btw.

I'm only exploring this option as a last resort.  But somewhat interested to see if it's feasible.

I'd rather not go down the data file route because my data cleansing script has 300 concurrent users.  Tried it and all sorts of random data would end up in the file.

My scenario is like this:

1.  Get 24 hours of prod logs from backup server.

2.  run throught the log file, write the valid data to VTS.

3.  run test.  Get valid data from VTS.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

So your objective is to run the load test or is it to verify/process data?

In both alternatives, I see the "one controller, several of everything else as needed" principles as the way forward. But I guess you need all of the virtual users you have licensed running during the test and you are not in a position to switch to a single license with att the vu's in it.

Well, that sounds like a typical problem of someone not wanting to "buy paint for painter". It sounds like a business decision to me. EIther your tests bring business value and it's time to pay for changing the license OR the tests aren't bringing enough value. I sometimes put that kind of questions to my customers (I am a contractor).

Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi,

"EIther your tests bring business value and it's time to pay for changing the license OR the tests aren't bringing enough value. I sometimes put that kind of questions to my customers (I am a contractor)."

It's the usual song and dance.  No budget blah blah blah and we have to make do with what we've got.

I've had to change my process to support this.  It's not ideal and it's dirty but it works.  I've had to develop a process in Visual Studio to achieve this.  ULtimately, my issue was with running this as part of our Continuous Integration testing.  I could hack it enough if I was to stop after each step in the process, but for CI it has to run in one click of a button.

My process is now as such:

1.  Get 24 hours of prod logs from backup server.

2.  run throught the log file, write the valid data to VTS.  Use only 1000 users so VTS remains stable.

3.  Run my exe to take VTS data; create a .dat file and push it out to all injectors (I've installed openssh on all lr boxes)

4.  run test with 2000 users.  Get valid data from data file.

Guess I'll let this lie.  I've accepted defeat 🙂

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Now you made med sad, John.

I guess that's life - full of compromises. Good you found a (somewhat) acceptable solution.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.