Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Load Generator Configuration

Hello,

I have been assigned to configure Load generator for the load test. Previous project where i worked before, we use to have tools team and they were responsbile for all tools installation and validation.

Some of the things (As stated in step1)i am currently following to configure the load generator and need help/advise from expert to suggest if i am missing any steps.

1)Since there is no load generator machines, i have requested our management team to provide 5 to 6 Laptops/Desktop with good configurations , so that we can install Load generator agents on the machine and use it as LG during our test. Is this correct way to do?

So my question is,

Just by installing the Load genertor agent on those machines would be enough or should we do anyother configurations further?

Do we have do any configurations to connect Conrtoller and LG?

Please advise and advice on detail steps on how to configure load genertor and Controller.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Load Generator Configuration

Hi
Your first stop is the online help at http://lrhelp.saas.hp.com.
Search for load generator configuration and I believe you will find what you need there.
Good luck
Lior

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello Avnilio.

I am unable to reach the site. When i click on URL it displays "site cannot be reached". Can you please provide me the correct link

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi
Sorry, try with hp instead if hpe
Thanks
Lior
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello Lior,

Thanks for pointing to the URL.  I looked at the help center and still have few questions for which i am unable to find out the answer.

Can you please help.

Q1) For Setting up the Load genertor, can i use 5-6 laptop/desktops and install Load Genertor agent on those laptop and use for load testing 

Q2) We have licence for 3 controller, which means should be install LoadRUnner on only 3 machines and start using 3 controllers to run the test?

It would be really helpful, if you can help with few steps/points on how to set up Load genetor and controller to start testing that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

my first suggestion is to always install the latest version (this being LoadRunner 12.53).

you say you have license for 3 controller. this is the previous license configuration, so I suggest you also contact support to have your license upgraded to the new configuration (license per Vusers and protocols, not per controller).

for Load Generators, I recommend to use a physical machine that is not doing anything else and its soul purpose is to run load tests. you can use laptops for this purpose, but please make sure they have the correct hardware configuration as well as supported OS. you should consult the product support matrix (available in the on line documentation).

once you have the correct SW downloaded (I mean LoadRunner 12.53), you should install a controller and than the Load Generators. assign a server for the controller as well.

last, but not least - plan your load test. how many Vusers do you want to run? for which duration? which protocol? are your scripts ready? have you tried them with 1 Vuser for 1 iteration before running full load test and many more questions you need answered before starting your load test.

Good Luck,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello LIor,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Its really helpful.

If i understand correctly, i need to follow below steps before we run the load test.

1) Create VM server or machines or physical machines.

2)Install Vugen to start scripting.

3)Install Load generator agent on VM machine or physical machines to act as Load generator. This machines can also be used for scripting. Number of load generator depends on Vusers and protocol for which we yet to determine how many LG's we need.

4)Create seperate VM machine to install Controller. If we need 2 controller, create two VM machines.

5)Install Performance center host on those VM machines and use Performance Center.

6)Once Performance center is configured, add Controller and LG in the Performance center.

Is above steps are correct? 

I am proposing to use the VM server instead of Physical machines(ex: like laptops) because we have SAP GUI Vusers and we may need more Laptop or physical machines to support for this testing. I think VM machines comes handy instead of Physical machines like laptops. Do you agree with that or do you suggest anyother solution?

In order to create VM machines windows server 2008 R2, what gudilance we need to follow? Any suggestion onthis. I may have to request windows admin team to help us create VM server machine, but they might need some specific details which iam trying to understand.

Thanks in adavance. 

Really appreciate your response/help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

HI

steps 1-4 are correct. when did Performance center come into the picture? 🙂

PC host includes all the components of LoadRunner, so unless you realy need it, I would stay with LoadRunner installation.

VMs are good as long as you give them enough resources (RAM, CPU etc..).

windows server 2008 R2 64b is the OS you need in that family. you can also use windows server 2012 R2 64b and windows 7 64b.

Again - I recommend to install the latest version that is 12.53 and install in a distributed manner, meaning: Vugen machine, Controller machine and LG machines.

Good Luck,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Lior. Really appreciate your response.

We are planning to use Performance Center as part of the project , so other team members can also use remotely.

In order to use PC, installing the Performance host should be enough or do we need to do any specific configuration.

I haven't refered the installation document yet, but if we can elaborte in few steps, that would be helpful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

There's more to instaling PC host in Performance center than I can cover here in a few short sentances.

I recommend you read the docs first and than if you have questions on installation, you can refer them in the PC forum in this address

Good Luck

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello Lior,

Thanks for the suggestion and guidance. I think i am getting close to understand the installation process. But i have few more questions.

Q1)We have requested creating the 2-Virtual Machines. One machine will be used as Controller and other machines as Load generator. So my question is when i get the installation setup file and during installation, on Controller should i select Controller as installation option? or should i install the full setup.  On load generator machine, should i just install the setloagenerator.exe file or should i install the full setup? Can you please advise.

Q2) After the Instllation, what are the post installation activities need to be performed?Can u please adivse?

Q3) We have licence for 1000 SAP ERP Vuser. SAP Vusers are of different types(SAP-WEB, SAP-GUI and Cliick and Script). My question is can we use 1000 SAP Vuser for any of the SAP Protocol or it depends on the licence? Meaning, 1000 Users can be SAP WEB or 1000 Vuser can be used for SAP GUI?

In other words, should we take licence for each sap protocol or just taking license for SAP bundle should be enough to run SAP ERP Vuser based on requriement? Can you please advise?

Q4) We have HP ALM(Quality Center) servers configured for Functional test cases and defect management. We are trying to Install HP PC as well. Can we install HP QC and HP PC on same instance of application server? 

As per my knowledge we can do it, but they would be certain limitations regarding the patch level. QC patches are released for x months and PC patches are release for x+2 months( just an example) So we need to wait until both level of patches are released. Apart of this what are the other limitations?

Hope to get some clarification from you. Thanks for your time and suggestion.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello Lior,

Can you please advise.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.