Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Load Generator vs Controller at different network location

Jump to solution

Hello Experts,

1)Is it advisble to have Controller machines and Load generator machines are different geo graphical locations and under different network?

2)Our Client has LG's moved to calif and users are in NY. At this moment our client is not willing to purchase any additional licenses for NV or other tool. So in this case i have asked our client not to move the LG machines to Calif and keep them at NY to simulate real user behavior. Is this this correct approach?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Load Generator vs Controller at different network location

Jump to solution

Hi Nik,

Please see my reply inline

Thanks,

Shlomi

@nik_0315000 wrote:

Hello Experts,

1)Is it advisble to have Controller machines and Load generator machines are different geo graphical locations and under different network? [Shlomi]  LoadRunner supports locating Load Generators in different geo locations. While it is better locating them in the same location it is not supposed to be a showstopper. The customer just need to make sure the network does not have too long delays and can sustain the results transfer across the locations.

2)Our Client has LG's moved to calif and users are in NY. At this moment our client is not willing to purchase any additional licenses for NV or other tool. So in this case i have asked our client not to move the LG machines to Calif and keep them at NY to simulate real user behavior. Is this this correct approach? [Shlomi] the best practice is to simulate load from the same location the real users are going to come from. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Nik,

Please see my reply inline

Thanks,

Shlomi

@nik_0315000 wrote:

Hello Experts,

1)Is it advisble to have Controller machines and Load generator machines are different geo graphical locations and under different network? [Shlomi]  LoadRunner supports locating Load Generators in different geo locations. While it is better locating them in the same location it is not supposed to be a showstopper. The customer just need to make sure the network does not have too long delays and can sustain the results transfer across the locations.

2)Our Client has LG's moved to calif and users are in NY. At this moment our client is not willing to purchase any additional licenses for NV or other tool. So in this case i have asked our client not to move the LG machines to Calif and keep them at NY to simulate real user behavior. Is this this correct approach? [Shlomi] the best practice is to simulate load from the same location the real users are going to come from. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you Shlomi. 

Regarding point2(the best practice is to simulate load from the same location the real users are going to come from. ), is there any recommendation documented, so that we can refer to our client as HP recommendation and proceed from there.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

HI,

There is no written recommendation that I know off. It is common knowledge among performance engineers.

Maybe can find the rationale for that HPE NV online help pages (check also the Video)

I am not suggesting to purchase NV, I do suggest to locate the Load Generators closer to the application under tests

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

As an NV advocate 🙂 I will bring to your attention some problems you might encounter when testing across the real network instead of with NV. Even though the use case you are describing (all the users are desktop users connecting from NY) is relatively simple network conditions-wise.

See page 8 in https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-5788ENW.pdf 

In case you are not familiar with it by the way, NV also provides recommendations for optimizing the performance of HTTP/S based applications (NV Insights).

Regards,

Yaron

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.