Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

LoadRunner Parameterization: Question about "Unique"

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a script. In that script, I have a login value that I have parameterized. The script will be run back in Controller as a performance test with 15 VUsers. The test will be executed for a period of 2 hours. Each VUser will run the script multiple times (multiple iterations). I want to ensure that the 15 logins I have are only used ONCE for each iteration by each of the 15 VUsers, and that none of the VUsers select the same parameterized login value.

What is the best Parameter setting for this purpose? Is it Select Next Row: Unique and Update Value on: Each Iteration?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: LoadRunner Parameterization: Question about "Unique"

Jump to solution

For what you say (every Vuser has to use a single value from data list), 

1. Select next row: Unique

2. Update value on: Once

With the combination you have wrote in the request, every Vuser will use different value from the list on every single call, and if the list ends then the last rows are used by the Vusers since the termination of the test (the time that remains from the duration scenario). 

Lorenzo

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Jayblah, 

with "Unique" and "Each iteration" checked users will use data for every different session/iteration of test. You can also check the options to steer how to handle the end of the input file: with "Continue with last value" users will use the same data input for every iteration after they have finish the list; with "Continue in a cyclic manner" data will be reused again after they are terminated in the first scanning; with "Abort Vuser" all the users will finish their calls using the last data of the file, then the scenario will terminated. 

Cattura.PNG

Lorenzo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Lorenzo, you're the best.

So, if I understand correctly, the options I should select for the Login parameter are:

Select next row: Unique

Update value on: Once

That way, each of the 15 VUsers will only ever take one of the 15 login values and use that value for every iteration for the full duration of the test. Correct?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Jayblah, 

thanks to you. With this combination (Unique + Once) every single Vuser will use the same login data for every iteration of the test. Here below there's a simple example with two users. 

image001.jpgOn the contrary, if you want that, for every call data must change for all Vusers, you have to set "Unique" (to preserve the uniqueness of the data) and "Each iteration". 

Lorenzo

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

So if i want VUser 1 to only use the login parameter "Login1" for the entire duration of the performance test, and I want VUser 2 to only use the login parameter "Login2", and VUser 3 to only use login parameter "Login3", etc., then I would set the following:

2. Update value on: Each iteration
  3. When out of values: Continue with last value

Is that correct? Note that the goal is for there NEVER to be a situation in which VUser 1 and VUser 2 use the same login (e.g. Login1).

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

For what you say (every Vuser has to use a single value from data list), 

2. Update value on: Once

With the combination you have wrote in the request, every Vuser will use different value from the list on every single call, and if the list ends then the last rows are used by the Vusers since the termination of the test (the time that remains from the duration scenario). 

Lorenzo

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.