Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Loadrunner 12.53 patch 4 "generator using over 80% CPU"

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are using LR 12.53 patch 4 and when we are running the test, we are getting high CPU utilization on LG machine..

Currently issue happening for 3 scripts. I have re-recorded and executed but still getting the high cpu utilization error.

All the scripts are recorded using SAP Web Protocol and executing with only 10 users and agent is set as service.

Scripts were working fine earlier and all of sudden we started seeing the LG issue. 

I have checked previous forum responses and validated that no antivirus is running and validated all other options.

Any further suggestions on fixing this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Loadrunner 12.53 patch 4 "generator using over 80% CPU"

Jump to solution

Could you please check your script whether there're TLS 1.2 enabled with web_set_sockets_option API? If it is, please try change it to TLS 1.1.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

Did you check via Resource Monitor (Windows) / top (Linux) which processes use the most CPU at the time of the test?

The 80% warning is for the entire machine and not specific to LR processes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Could you please check your script whether there're TLS 1.2 enabled with web_set_sockets_option API? If it is, please try change it to TLS 1.1.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I get this error on my TruClient runs as well, and can confirm that the generator CPU is indeed high but the test otherwise proceeds correctly. Any way to shut the error message off?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes i changed TLS 1 and it worked fine. What is reason behind it.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

KertLou - Can you explain why this was suggested (and worked)?  We see a similiar issue in 12.53 P4 and the page uses TLS 1.2 sockets so wondering if this is a bug?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue using 12.53 p4 

Setting TLS 1.1 is not an option. Can someone give more details about this issue. This appears to be a workaround that isnt truly addressing the real issue. Is this a bug? If it is, is this fixed in a newer issue of LoadRunner? 

MMDRV is consuming 98-99% of the CPU on 2 generators with only 10 Vusers (no think time). 

Thanks

George

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Attachment Removed due to company policy. Please contact LoadRunner support if you want it.

It's actually an issue of HTTP2.

In 12.53 HTTP2 will be preferred method if server supports it. HTTP2 must be done over TLS 1.2 that's why there's no CPU issue with TLS 1.1.

In 12.56 we provides an RTS (manual edit default.cfg) to disable HTTP2 when using TLS 1.2, and in 12.60 that will be exposed to RTS dialog.

We're working on the fix under HTTP2 meanwhile.  Attached is a private fix for 12.53 patch4. Please try with it. if there're still issues with your scenario, you can open a CPE ticket so that we can work with you to analyze the issue.

The zip file contains two version of lrwnetsocket.dll, one of them disables HTTP2, the other tries fix HTTP2 issue. Remove the suffix in file name when using them. All files should be copied to bin folder of vugen/LG Installation.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks, I will give it a try.  I am specifically trying to test the benefits of HTTP2 and that is the reason that I need to use TLS1.2.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

After some testing it looks like I will have to open a support issue. I used the http2 fix DLL and got some interesting results. The transaction times were slower than the stock DLL. The CPU usage looks to be normal now but the fix DLL appears to be slowing everything down and still prevents me from producting any meaningful results.

Using HTTP without SSL my average time for each itteration of the test is about 3.6 seconds.

Using SSL with TLS 1.1 its around 4.26

With HTTP2 and TLS 1.2 its 4.1 but the CPUs are maxed on the generators

With HTTP2 and TLS 1.2 with the fix DLL its 4.8

-George

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know the case ID once you have it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.