Highlighted
New Member.

Loadrunner and use of laptop as a lodgenerator - how can I make it work?

Hi,

I'm supposed to loadtest a webpage for time management. The page needs to support loads of upto 1000 users at a time and is on a external but not exposed server so I can't use stormrunner yet.

I'm hitting a problem - what I have to work on, is a dual core 16GB lap top which also serves as my work computer.

This means that during a run:
I have Vugen
I have Loadrunner controller'
I have Loadrunner analysis

+ chrome, outlook, atom etc running. And of course the computer is the load generator (on wifi). I have argued for a better computer as nothing else is availble that I know of. Ideally I should probably have (1) WM image as load generator to run against and that is on a server and maybe one other to server as controller etc. But right now it dosen't seem to be much more option than running with this computer and I'm wondering how can I make it work so I don't screw up for anyone else when it comes to performance?

I'm wondering on some different solutions as to go about, i.e. timing the script and only running for that amount of time, swapping to ethernet cabel, closing all other apps on the computer.  Any suggestions given what I have?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Loadrunner and use of laptop as a lodgenerator - how can I make it work?

The limiations and concerns would be pretty much the same as they would be for any load injector. You'll want to make sure to keep CPU and RAM utilization manageable (I like to keep both under 80% or so). I'd recommend closing absolutely everything you don't absolutely need on the laptop before running a test. And not doing anything else on it (e.g. email, web browsing, etc.).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Loadrunner and use of laptop as a lodgenerator - how can I make it work?

You can use a regular computer and Controller+LG and good machines as Load Generators, I do not see an issue of running 1000 VU if HTTP Web, I recommend you to monitor CPU usage of your LG to monitor for each Query and smartly distribute the Load Generators, make sure you replicate real-world business scenarios

I wish you Good Luck!  

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.