Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander

Protocols "Covered" by LoadRunner Community Edition

The marketing/advertising information surrounding the LoadRunner Community Edition states the following:

LoadRunner is now delivered with the Community Bundle which replaces the Instant-on license with the following features:

• A permanent bundle with 50 Vusers
  • All protocols are included except for GUI (UFT), COM/DCOM and protocols in the template bundle

However, I just built a Java Vuser script to use for testing an IBM MQ-Series application only to get the Controller message, "You do not have a license for this protocol".  HP Support states that the Java Vuser protocol is NOT included in the Community Edition. Is this false advertising or just a simple oversight? As a minimum, it sounds like some clarification is needed as to what really is included versus what really is not included.

Randy

Randy at Deere
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

As you stated, indeed the Community Edition license includes all protocols except for:

• COM/DCOM
  • GUI bundle protocols, a.k.a. QuickTest Professional (QTP) or Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
  • Template bundle, i.e. following protocols: C Vuser; C++.NET Template; C#.NET Template; VB.NET Template; Java Vuser

However other Java-based protocols such as 'Java over HTTP' and 'Java Record Replay' are included.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Igor Markov
R&D Manager, Performance Engineering Core
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Randy,

You may want to understand the LR protocol bundles.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA1-3191ENW

The one you tried falls in Templates protocol bundle and hence you get that error in controller.

Like Igor clarified, the information published is correct.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Following your feedback, we are now looking into including the Template bundle protocols into the Community Edition 50 Vusers license. I cannot commit on that, but we will surely evaluate the option.

Igor Markov
R&D Manager, Performance Engineering Core
0 Likes
Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander

In the "For What It's Worth" department, I will say that I learned that I could take a script that I built in the Java VUser protocol and paste it in new Java over HTTP protocol script. Doing this provided me with the capability to run the resulting script in a Controller session with literaly no editing required.

This works so well for me, that I have described it as a recommended practice for any future Deere MQ testing that we need to do. It is simpler than using the MQTester or JMS Web Service approach.

Randy at Deere
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.