Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Question about caching and effect on iteration count

Hello,

I have a question about the effect of "Clear cache on each iteration" on the number of iterations during the test run.  I have a test where I have run several times with this option both enabled and disabled, and for all the tests the iteration count is relatively unchanged.  I would expect that when I have disabled "Clear cache on each iteration", the number of iterations would increase since the client doesn't have to download the image, css, js, etc files after the first iteration - leaving more time during the test to complete more iterations.  This doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone please explain why?

Here are the settings for Browser Cache that I am using:

[Enabled]  Simulate broswer cache

[Enabled]  Cache URLs requiring content (HTMLs)

[Disabled]  Specify URLs requiring content in addition to HTML pages

[Disabled]  Check for newer versions of stored pages every visit to the page

[Enabled]  Download non-HTML resources

[Enabled]  Simulate a new user on each iteration

[Enabled/Disabled]  Clear cache on each iteration

[Disabled]  Simulate prefetch and prerender

Thanks,

Damien

1 Reply
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Question about caching and effect on iteration count

It's possible that any think times and pacing settings are overshadowing minor differences in resource download times.

For example, if you have 30s of thinktime in the iteration and another 20s of pacing time, it would dwarf a possible increase of 1-3 seconds to fill the cache.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.