Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Relevance of "throughput" in Performance testing

Hi,

I Would like to know the Relevance of "Throuhgput" in performance testing>

By definition I know what is "Throuhgput" but I am unable to completly understand it's relevance in Performance testing.

1. Do we have to care about it when our focus is on Transaction Response times and CPU, Memory of App server, DB server?

2. Should there be a different strategy to test the "Throuhgput" as a metric ?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Ram

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Relevance of "throughput" in Performance testing

Hi,

You should care about throughput as it shows the application can handle a certain amount of traffic and a degradation in that might not be seen by other metrics you have mentioned.

You can get approximately the same response time, CPU, memory but the throughout will be lower.

If you do not want to look at throughput, you can look at a different metric instead such, as transactions per seconds, hits per second, number of sessions opened against the applications, etc. All these measurements indicates about the workload the application can handle. Transaction response time, CPU, memory are performance indicators, not workload.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Relevance of "throughput" in Performance testing

Thank you Shlomi.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.