Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Running Virtual user for truclient protocol is very much resource extensive. why?

Jump to solution

Hi ,

I am using below Server configuration to run truclient scripts.

OS- Windows server 2008 R2.

RAM - 7 GB

Processor- 2.3 GHz with 2 core machine

Browser- Chrome

With only 3 virtual user, CPU reaches 100% and we can observe the overhead in the results.

So if we have to run for 50 users also we need ~17 machine, which is not feasible.

Any input or solution will be highly appreciated.

Regards

shashi kant

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Running Virtual user for truclient protocol is very much resource extensive. why?

Jump to solution

In addition to the remarks of Shlomi, the following to consider?

Is your server virtualized? Or is it just a PC or labtop?

Did you put enough think time in your script?

And yes you need lots of CPU capacity. Recently I ran a 160 user TruClient test and needed a c5.18xlarge server in Amazon and it was running at 60% CPU average.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Running Virtual user for truclient protocol is very much resource extensive. why?

Jump to solution

Hi,

TruClient runs real browser and drives user actions on the application. The CPU and memory utilization are directly related to the browser consumption.

You will need to use more equiped HW - see LoadRunner & Performance Center system requirements.

You will need to use more machines.

In case the application is public you can also try using StormRunner Load to scale it.

Regards,

Shlomi

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

In addition to the remarks of Shlomi, the following to consider?

Is your server virtualized? Or is it just a PC or labtop?

Did you put enough think time in your script?

And yes you need lots of CPU capacity. Recently I ran a 160 user TruClient test and needed a c5.18xlarge server in Amazon and it was running at 60% CPU average.

Signature:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

There are no ways around it, Tru client is costly. I did a  test on Angular webpages sometime ago, and for 800 users, I needed something like 6 (or 8, even, not sure right now) servers with Xeon 8 cores processors, and 32Gb memory. Worked like a charm. A bit costly renting bill for the machines though...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am using Azure VM of D2V2 Standard machine of capacity 7 GB RAM and 2 core Processor of speed 2.3 GHz.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for everyone reply , I can understand from comments that there are no other way apart from using high configuration machines for trueclient.

I would like to add one information,

While running 1 chromium instance from controller i.e for 1 user exhaust around 25% of CPU and like this with 3 VU , it exhaust almost 100% and add overhead to results but In real time browser doesn't consume so much CPU. I think Loadrunner should work to provide some alternative to high resource utilization.

Regards

shashi Kant

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

TruClient footprint highly varies, depending on many factors, mostly the client-side footprint of the AUT (Application Under Test), but also the browser type as well as the computer's hardware and software environment.

For big and heavy applications, scalability is expected to be lower, as more resources are needed to emulate each user using the browser.

Also note that there is some overhead to running the browser in a load-test, compared to manually: the Load Generator and TruClient software are running in addition to the browser itself.

Edo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

You noticed that one user consumed 25% and might be puzzled why 3 users needed 100%. Most of time this is due to hyperthreads. When you configure/select a machine in cloud services, you get normally N vCPUs (v=virtual). Half of them are Hyper-threads and can only contribute 20% to 30% to your CPU capacity.

So I look normally to my CPU load of a few TruClient users of my load test (on a system with enough vCPUs, so I know that the hypersthreads are not used) and then do the calculation on how many CPUs I need. Then I select a load generator with 2 times more vCPUs. The extra vCPUs are just about 20% to 30% extra capacity and are 'reserved' for short peak-loads of the scripts. My experience is that upto LR v12.55 is FF the cheapest broweser in respect to CPU load.

Signature:
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.