Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

SAP GUI- Failed to open new connection after no of Vuser exceeds 12

Jump to solution

Dear Performance Experts,

I am trying to run a set of SAP GUI scripts with PC 12.50. During the ramp up, everytime the Vuser count hits 12, errors start coming up with 'Failed to open new connection'' message. Once the first connection error appears, other active Vusers start to go down as well and then starts the flood of other errors too (object not found, logout errors etc.). Though the active no of Vusers do not go below 10 but it remains consistent at 11 or 12. I tried to verify this using multiple LGs but the count remains almost same with the no LGs used (with 2 LGs- errors started coming up after 25 Vusers , for 3 LGs it was 36!).

During the run (with 1 LG) I took help from the SAP application team to know the active no of sessions and they confirmed that it was fluctuating between 11 and 13. I also gave a try to run a one hour test with 12 users using 1 LG and there were absolutely no errors.  I have repeated the tests with multiple permutations and combinations (differnet LGs, and different load) but the magic number seems to be around 12.

To check and verify any particular LG constraints, I manually logged in to the LG we use (on premise LGs are still a thing!) and opened 20 new GUI windows. I was able to succesfully log in to SAP servers with 20 different test users keeping all the 20 windows open at the same time. I was also able to see 20 active process thread in task manager.(opened different SAP GUI windows, not just new sessions)

Apart from, I have tried enable/disable 'SAP Client during replay', slow ramp up, adding SAP server details in LG (in the SAP GUI installation file), disabling log (read in a forum) . I have read about SPY but as per my reading, I understand it will detect an object which could help me to detect any failure in the script step. Not really sure if it will help in this case.

Can i try any other loadrunner properties which could control the connection properties in SAP. Appreciate any help or thought.

@Shlomi@James Pulley

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SAP GUI- Failed to open new connection after no of Vuser exceeds 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please open a support ticket for further examination. We have recently addressed a similar issue (not sure if identical) for a different customer. It requires R&D help to check if we can improve things in this case as well.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

As per my understanding. By Default, SAP allows following setup. But it can be configured. Below are the details:

With same user id and password on a given system, a user can do 3 logins. And for each login, it can open 6 sessions.

For example: Say I have a user id: abc and pwd: 123. I can do 3 logins with same credential. So I open 3 windows with same id and pwd. And in each window I can open 6 sessions of SAP. So a total of 18 sessions.

Same id multiple logins         Sessions per login
Login 1 same credentials                 6
Login 2 same credentials                6
Login 3 same credentials                6
                             Total                18

Therefore, with 1 Vuser you can do 18 sessions of SAP. You will need new Vuser (corresponding to new SAP user ids) for next 18 sessions. and so on...

In some cases, configurations by Basis team can reduce these sessions from 18 to 12 or even less.

You need to check with the configuration team about these deails. You should be able to resolve it by using new VUser ids. The same VUser id will not be able to log into the SAP if more than 18 sessions are already in use.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

One more thing you need to Run it as Process. It is very important: See attachment for details.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking out your precious time and the detailed explanation. I am using unique test users and running them as process (tried with thread as well!) but no luck.  During our troubleshooting sessions, I have raised the multiple connection issue with BASIS team but they said there is no constraints from their side. I validated this when I was able to open 20 sessions in 20 different GUI windows in the LG and was able to successfully login with 20 unique test users. I am thinking the issue might be more from a LG point of view. Just a thought though.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please open a support ticket for further examination. We have recently addressed a similar issue (not sure if identical) for a different customer. It requires R&D help to check if we can improve things in this case as well.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.