Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

SSL error with vugen 12.50

Jump to solution

All,

I'm using Vugen 12.50 on Windows 7.  My script uses the web http/html protocol.  I'm getting the following error during the SSL handshake:

X509 certificate error 19: self signed certificate in certificate chain

Further, it mentions exactly what certificate it doesn't like.  It's my company's root certifcate, which is of course self-signed. 

I get this error on both my workstation and on the load generators.  I also get this same error message from OpenSSL if I do not provide the root CA in the CApath argument.  Even if I provide the intermediate CA, I get this error.  If I do provide the root CA, then I don't get this error in OpenSSL.

Because the error message is identical between VuGen and OpenSSL, I assume the same thing is going on under the covers.

Where does VuGen/Performance Center look for trusted CAs?  I see both the intermediate and root CAs in Internet Explorer's trusted list.

Using a java protocol script and explicitly providing the trust store with both CAs works fine.

thanks

John

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: SSL error with vugen 12.50

Jump to solution

I finally figured out that the pem file I was using for client authentication did not contain the intermediate or root CAs.  I'm a little surprised that VuGen expected them to be in the same file as my client certificate, but once I added them, everything was fine.

thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I finally figured out that the pem file I was using for client authentication did not contain the intermediate or root CAs.  I'm a little surprised that VuGen expected them to be in the same file as my client certificate, but once I added them, everything was fine.

thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

> I also get this same error message from OpenSSL if I do not provide the root CA in the CApath argument.

Right, the whole cert chain must be in the CApath directory.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

how did you figure out what the right CA were missing?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.