Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Silent Install of LoadRunner on EC2

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to spin up an EC2 instance in AWS and silently install LoadRunenr on it all with the use of a script or Powershell command?

Its not possible for me to use AutoScaling so Im wondering if the above is possible?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Silent Install of LoadRunner on EC2

Jump to solution

Hi,

It should be doable. There is nothing out of the box that LoadRunner allows other than the ability to provision LG's from LoadRunner itself.

You will need to sweat for it 🙂

Some references
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/systems-manager/latest/userguide/walkthrough-powershell.html
https://serverfault.com/questions/360346/powershell-to-ec2-instance-installing-executable-files-on-ec2-instance

Note that there is an LG image for each version. I think you should explore how you create your instance from it rather than trying to run silent install. Running silent install requires also downloading the setup files and that may be time consuming and error prone.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

It should be doable. There is nothing out of the box that LoadRunner allows other than the ability to provision LG's from LoadRunner itself.

You will need to sweat for it 🙂

Some references
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/systems-manager/latest/userguide/walkthrough-powershell.html
https://serverfault.com/questions/360346/powershell-to-ec2-instance-installing-executable-files-on-ec2-instance

Note that there is an LG image for each version. I think you should explore how you create your instance from it rather than trying to run silent install. Running silent install requires also downloading the setup files and that may be time consuming and error prone.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks Shlomi

So the better option would be to create an AWS AMI that has LR installed on it and find a way for the user to spin up an instance using this AMI each time they need a new instance?

In an ideal world I would use AutoScaling. However due to secruity contraints we cant use AutoScaling as the security team needs to OK and exception for each server added to the LG pool of servers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Also in terms of the silent install - for me to use this I would need to create an instance and then download the LG setup files onto it? There is no other way to do a silent install? For example somehow pull the setup files from an S3 bucket and the install kicks off automatically?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you using LoadRunner or Performance Center?
Which component do you need to spin up? Load Generator? Full install? VuGen only?
When you say AutoScaling, what do you mean? We do not have any feature named AutoScaling.
What kind of security constratins do you have? Using your own AWS account? Using your own image? Going through a manual approval process?

To your questions a better approach would be creating your own image and use AWS APIs to automatically create instances out of it.

Silent install approach is doable as well but I wouldn't go for it if I was in your shoes. If you do decide to use it, S3 bucket is a good option to store the files and download it from there.

If you wish send me a private message and we can discuss it in more details.

Regards,
Shlomi

Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Shlomi

Private message sent

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.