Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Splitting physical machine into VMs for LR Injectors

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if there was any benefit in splitting a physical machines into VMs to be used as injectors only.  Is there any benefit/degredation in performance when splitting into multiple machines?

Let's say I have a phsyical server that has 24 gig of ram and 6 CPU cores.  If I was to create 3 VMs that had 8 gig of Ram and 2 CPU cores each, would it be any different than having one physical injector server with the full 24gig Ram and 6 CPU cores?

Many thanks,
John

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Splitting physical machine into VMs for LR Injectors

Hello, 

Regarding your question, 

There is no problem in create VM, however you just have to be clear about your needs, and how much ram and space do you will need. 

However, is a really good idea to create VM.

Regards, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Jorge,

Many thanks for getting back.

I appreciate it is a good idea but not sure why? My question asks of the benefits in using a vm and still not sure what that is.

I’ve just been told we are to commission 5 physical injectors with 8 cpus and 128 gig of ram. What benefit would I get from splitting them up into vm’s? They will be placed along side each other within the application network

Cheers
John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Multiple VM's will allow running multiple tests concurrently without using the same Load Generators. That is, assuming you are licensed for more than one Controller. In addition, multiple VMs can be good when it comes to GUI level scripts (e.g. UFT, Citrix) that are CPU and memory intensive but also limited to GDI resources. For GUI scripts, very large machines are good from CPU and memory perpective but you will hit GDI resource limits sooner.

On the other hand, if you use Web (HTTP/HTML) and you do not need to run multiple runs concurrently it is not really needed to split it. Also, if you do split make sure you do not over commit resources (i.e. allocate more resources than the physical limit) and ensure you do not over utilize each VM.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks mate. I have enough now to make my proposal. Can’t thank you enough!!

Cheers,
John
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.