Highlighted
leer Contributor.
Contributor.

Standard Diviation

When running my test I am seeing very high Standard Diviation numbers.  Just curious if this is just a result of the program I am testing or are there some techniques that help reduce this number?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Outstanding Contributor.. JHF Remmelzwaal Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Standard Diviation

Checkout Wiki on Standard Deviation and consider min, mean and max transaction duration.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
0 Likes
Gagandeep Malviya Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Standard Diviation

Standard Deviation in your test tells whether the response time of a particular transaction is consistent throughout the test or not? The smaller the Standard Deviation, the more consistent transaction response time and you will be more confident about particular page/request. Delivering a consistent experience to the end-user is just as important as delivering a fast and responsive experience.

So better if you could ask developer to tune the application to reduce the SD.

For more information, you can refer to the article:

Importance of Standard Deviation in Performance Testing

Regards,
Gagandeep Malviya

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution
Tags (1)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.