Highlighted
New Member.

Support for SSL data streams in Windows Socket protocol script

Using VuGen 12.01, we were able to record a Windows Socket script which, when we analyzed it, turned out to contain an SSL "handshake" message sequence, following by regular client/server application messages with the application data in encrypted format.

Is there an intended way for Windows Socket scripters to decrypt messages being received and to encrypt messages to be sent so we can actually do something with the application data?

I see that VuGen 12.55 now has an "lrs_start_ssl" command to manage the SSL handshake, but it seems like even using that I would still be dealing with encrypted data with no way to verify or manipulate the application data in its original form.

Short of asking the application team to turn off encryption or becoming an OpenSSL API wizard, does any one have suggestions, or am I missing something.

Dave J.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Support for SSL data streams in Windows Socket protocol script

As you figured out, ssl support was added to WinSock protocol in newer version of LoadRunner.

I do suggest you upgrade as 12.01 is relatively old version of LoadRunner

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: Support for SSL data streams in Windows Socket protocol script

Thanks for your reply.  It sounds like recording with the current VuGen release (12.55) would be the thing to do.  What I cannot tell from the documentation is whether the new support is limited to the automation of the handshaking step (via lrs_start_ssl) or whether LoadRunner takes care of ALL of the encryption / decryption so the person developing the client script doesn't have to attempt to do that manually.

Is there any more documentation on this new support other than the brief description and example of lrs_start_ssl in the Function Reference?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.