Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Test Results Viewer is gone in VuGen 12.53

After upgrading to VuGen 12.53, we realized that the Test Results Viewer has been unceremoniously dumped from the product. 

This would be fine if there were a replacement that had similar funcitonality, but there is not. We used the Test Results viewer to get information about each iteration of each run. We could view the pass/fail results for each step and also the response returned by the server.

Since the report went away, I've been told to use the Business Process report, but as far as I can tell, this doesn't have anything close to the same functionality that the TRV had. All I can see are some screenshots with some light intformation.

We need something closer to what we have with TRV. It is difficult to debug our scripts otherwise.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: LoadRunner VuGen 12.53 Test Results Viewer has been ripped out

Hi

The Test result viewer feature is deprecate .

Even that we left the feature as is also on LR 12.53 (without QA testing).

On some environment it could works by associate the .qtp file to \bin\QTReport.exe.

Please check with your scripts , if you can open the result1\Result.qtp file with following QTReport.exe

Thanks Oren

Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Oren, we'll give it a shot.

Sorry if my original post sounded a bit dramatic. I was just kidding around since I mentioned this to some of the folks at Discover and they asked me to make a post about it here. 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

I was not able to open the Results.qtp file directly with QTReport.exe, but I was able to open Results.xml and successfully view my results. Note: I am running stand alone VuGen 12.53 on Windows 7.

Here are steps to do this, in case anyone else is interested.

1. For each script you open in VuGen, there is a folder called result1 that contains the Results.xml file. Note: If you have your settings set to save a new result for each run, there will be multiple folders, "result1", "result2", etc.

2. To find the results folder(s), open a VuGen test, and then view your list of parameters.  Create a new parameter of the type "file" then click the Browse button next to the file  path field. This should open a "Save As" window to the path of the root level of the test, which contains the result1 folder. Select the entire path from here and copy to the clipboard, then close this window and also the Parameter list window.

3. Open a new Windows explorer window, then paste your path in the location bar and click enter to get to this location.

4. Open the result1 folder here to see the contained files.

5. Find "Results.xml" and right-click, choose "Open With" and then select "Choose default program"

6.  From here, you'll need to click Browse, and navigate to the bin directory of your VuGen installation. Mine looks like this: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Virtual User Generator\bin

7. Once you get to the bin folder, find "QTReport.exe", select it, and click the "Open" button.

8. This should add QTReport to your list of "Other Programs" in the "Open with" dialog box. You'll probably want to uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" box if you need to view or edit other types of XML files with different programs. You should only need to browse for QTReport the first time. Windows 7 should add it to recommended programs for XML files each subsequent time you use "Open With".

9. Select QTReport and click OK. The result file should open in the Results viewer with your latest run.

Note: For each VuGen test, you'll probably want to make a shortcut to the root directory of the test that we copied to the clipboard in step 2, so you don't need to use the parameter file trick to the find the path each time. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor..

While I think is a helpful work around, I wouldn't call this a solution. I am only able to open the Results.xml this way, not Results.qtp, so we are still missing some features, like screenshots for each iteration. We really need an acceptable replacement for the results viewer that can show us screen shots for each iteration.

Here's one of our scenarios where we're highly dependent on being able to view the server response for each iteration in the Results viewer.

We have a very simple http protocol load test that goes to an http address and passes a different XML string as parameter on each iteration. The server we are testing will send back a response telling us if the request was successful or not. The XML data expires quite often though and becomes invalid, so before we run our load test in Peformance Center, we will run a few hundred iterations in VuGen to make sure all of our data returns a valid response.

Without the results viewer though, we don't have any insight as to which iterations passed or failed. With the workaround, we can tell which iterations passed or failed but we're still unable to see screenshots of each iteration so we can't tell what the response was coming back from the server. Therefore, we can tell if an iteration failed, but we don't know why.

Note: I know that we can also look at the vuser log, but in our case, it only tells us that there was an error. Even if we could get the full error response back from the log, this is a much more time-intensive task than simply expanding the results tree for iterations that failed and viewing the responses there.

Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Well here we are 3 years later, on version 12.60 and still no viable replacement for the Test Results Viewer.  As the previous posters mentioned, we used the TRV extensively to make sure that our tests were actually doing what we thought they were and not just navigating to a bunch of blank pages.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Test Results Viewer is gone in VuGen 12.53

newer version of software suppose add more features, not remove the important features that everyday use ..  so are they doing downgrade software?  I am very disappoint!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi John,

Thanks for posting a clear explanation how to do it. I just tried but getting an error that results viewer is not installed. I'm on 12.62.

Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.