Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

The way to test Desktop Application

Jump to solution

Hi there! I faced the problem: I need to test the desktop application. It contains internal logic. therefore, the only way is to emulate mouse / keyboard keystrokes. The question is, what protocol can I use except for RDP?

Maybe I need to use another tool, such as WinRunner? But it's support was closed

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: The way to test Desktop Application

Jump to solution

Hi,

RDP protocol creates the terminal session and allows performing actions on the terminal session level/bitmap level and as a result the application will be activated assuming you will simulate actions on it.

Pros

> Supposed to be easier to configure
> More scalable comparing to UFT (even if UFT is used with multiple sessions)
> Included in Community license (50 Vusers for evaluation)

Cons
> Script actions in the RDP level. Might be more difficult to emulate what you need. 

Running UFT inside a terminal session is a different thing. Controller will open the terminal session and UFT test will run in that session. The test itself will not perform actions on the remote desktop/terminal level, it will be performed on the AUT.

Pros
> Script is recorded and replay on the application under test level. Supposed to be easier to maintain

Cons
> Less scalable
> Requires a dedicated license (both LR and UFT)

If you do not need to scale more than 10 Vusers I would recommend on UFT.
If you do not have a license I would recommend on RDP (since you can experiment it with the 50 Vusers the Community license includes)

Hope it helps.

Shlomi

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

What kind of Desktop application is it? What is the architecture behind it and how does the application hosted/accessed/deployed.

With Web HTTP protocol, on start recording dialog box, select Windows application under Record and give application .exe path under application. Try this way and check if that works.

Usually Windows applications are challening with LR provided.

Other option is to record in UFT ,but GUI license and run the test. This might cost of bit for GU licnese.

Try and let us know if that works.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer!

There is a web server, a database and a windows-client. I need to test them all by the client, which connects to both the web server and the database. I can't use http, because then LoadRunner will test the performance of the web server, but the job need be doing by the client too (as I said clinet contains internal logic that cant't be ignored for the true load testing results).

Can you please tell me, is UVT a separate product? Or is it an extension for the Load Runner? Where to start to use it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

UFT is a seperate product but LoadRunner can run it.

Other than UFT and RDP you can try Citrix (but that is probably more complex to setup).

Regards,
Shlomi

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks! And I have one more question: So, I can insert UFT test to LoadRunner and run it, but can I run it with emulating multiple-users? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

By default you can run a single UFT Vuser per LG. To run multiple UFT Vusers on the same Load Generator you will need to use LoadRunner-Terminal Services integration.

Another (long shot) option is to try LeanFT (a.k.a. UFT Pro) . Unlike UFT GUI, it allows running multiple Vusers on the same Load Generator. The test is built within your IDE, LeanFT has SDK for all known IDEs. The test has to be converted than to a DevOps LoadRunner Vuser (UnitTest for .NET ot Java). It requires a dedicated LoadRunner license. You have 50 Vusers in the community license for evaluation. 

Before rushing to LeanFT option, which might sound promising, noe that

1. The conversion in Java requires deep understanding. .NET is easier but still has pre-requisites. 
  2. I do not think anyone tried running LeanFT in LR with Desktop apps. We tested it internally with web based apps only

Regards,
Shlomi

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

But what are the difference, if I use RDP protocol with VuGen, and load this script into Controller vs if I use UFT script, and load it into Controller with LoadRunner-Terminal Services integration? In both cases there is a RDP...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

RDP protocol creates the terminal session and allows performing actions on the terminal session level/bitmap level and as a result the application will be activated assuming you will simulate actions on it.

Pros

> Supposed to be easier to configure
> More scalable comparing to UFT (even if UFT is used with multiple sessions)
> Included in Community license (50 Vusers for evaluation)

Cons
> Script actions in the RDP level. Might be more difficult to emulate what you need. 

Running UFT inside a terminal session is a different thing. Controller will open the terminal session and UFT test will run in that session. The test itself will not perform actions on the remote desktop/terminal level, it will be performed on the AUT.

Pros
> Script is recorded and replay on the application under test level. Supposed to be easier to maintain

Cons
> Less scalable
> Requires a dedicated license (both LR and UFT)

If you do not need to scale more than 10 Vusers I would recommend on UFT.
If you do not have a license I would recommend on RDP (since you can experiment it with the 50 Vusers the Community license includes)

Hope it helps.

Shlomi

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.