Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Transaction Duration and Wasted Time

Hi,

Given the timings below, the transaction response time will be computed as 1.963 - 1.7050 - 0.002 which is 256 ms

This does not seem correct since the time that it takes for Waiting for the Load indicator to begin then dissappear is 30999-30121 which is 878ms.

So I would expect the transaction response time to be around 878ms. Are the wait for load indicator consider as wasted time?

Notify: Transaction "TXN03_EPIM_CM005_SEGMENTS_EXPAND_ALL_FILTERS" started.
t=00029263ms: ** 1.1: Evaluate JavaScript code Global.TXN_NAME = "TXN" ...lobal.TXN_NAME); ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00029270ms: ** 1: Function startTransaction ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00029273ms: ** 15.2: Call Function GlobalLib.startTransaction ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00029778ms: ** 15.3: Click on Expand All Filters ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00030117ms: ** 15.3: Click on Expand All Filters ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00030121ms: ** 15.4: Wait for Loading. Begin ... ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00030765ms: ** 15.4: Wait for Loading. Begin ... ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00030769ms: ** 15.5: Wait for Loading Completes ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00030999ms: ** 15.5: Wait for Loading Completes ** successfully completed with end event 'Action completed' [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00031003ms: ** 15.7: Call Function GlobalLib.stopTranasction ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00031008ms: ** 2: Function stopTranasction ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
t=00031014ms: ** 2.1: Evaluate JavaScript code // stop the transaction ..._ID = txnId; } ** started [MsgId: MMSG-205180]
Notify: Transaction "TXN03_EPIM_CM005_SEGMENTS_EXPAND_ALL_FILTERS" ended with a "Pass" status (Duration: 1.9630 Think Time: 0.0020 Wasted Time: 1.7050).

Thanks!
Jason

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Transaction Duration and Wasted Time

Hi

We also count the passing between the steps as wasted time. The application did not stop while we did the passing and this is where the missing time went I think.

If you want to get a more exact time you can just change the value under the run time settings “interstep interval” from the default (500 ms) to something lower.

I think these 500 ms between “15.4: Wait for Loading. Begin ...” and  “15.5: Wait for Loading Completes” are your missing time

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. 

I have kept the interstep interval as the default 500ms. 

I am a little confused with 2 things:
1. It says in Help that Inter-step interval is the minimum interval between steps with user actions. I assume user actions refer to steps involving user actions like click, type, select from drop down. So for non user type actions like steps that use Wait For Objects', or Evaluate Javascript, does inter-step interval apply?

2. If you look at the end time for a user action for 15.3 which is a click action, followed by the start time for the next action 15.4 which is a 'Wait For Loading', the time difference is only 4 ms, and not 500ms. I was wondering if the inter-step interval is included as part of the time needed to execute 15.3? Even so, it isn't correct either, the duration to complete 15.3 is only 339 ms. Given what I understood from the link here: /t5/LoadRunner-and-Performance/Times-timing-and-timeouts-in-TruClient/ba-p/6409810#.WOpfX9IrJaQ, I thik the interstep interval or 'pacing' as it was described in the article starts after the end event of the step. 

This is really confusing.

The reason I am scrutinizing these timings is because I am finding inconsistencies in the transaction response time. to the extent I am losing faith in the accuracy of the timings captured. 

Please, can someone who has a deeper understanding on how exactly wasted time are computed internally, chime in to give his/her opnion here?

Thanks!
Jason

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Jason,

I suggest to open a ticket in order to discuss it with HPE TruClient R&D.  It will be much more effective than discussing it in it in the forum.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks Shiomi. 

I am not exactly sure how to open a ticket to connect directly with HPE TruClient R&D.

Do you mind tell me how to do so?

Regards.
Jason

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Jason,

You cannot contactr HPE TruClient R&D directly.

Please raise the support ticket and if HPE support will decide that TruClient R&D needs to be involved they will do so. You can share a link to this post as a reference.

To open a ticket follow these steps:

1. Navigate to https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/

2. Click on "My Software Support sign-in" button located at the top right side of the screen

3. Click on "Service Requests"

4. Click on "Submit new"

Regards,

Shlomi

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.