Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

TruClient Editor Copy Paste Behavior driving me insane!!

I have a step that need to be copied 10 times so that I can simply change the xpath object that the step is referring to and all other parameters remain the same, seems like a simple copy and paste issue, right?

The problem I'm having with the LR 12.53 TruClient Editor is that it "links" the copied and pasted version together (also seems to do this with export / import step as well) so that any changes to either also affects the opposite!

I don't have time to hunt down pages that have each of these objects individually to record them, and "Generic Object Action" doesn't include the "Select" activity.

Any help here before I go mad?? 🙂

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TruClient Editor Copy Paste Behavior driving me insane!!

Hello,

A step that interacts with the application is associated to a test object (which is the TruClient term or the UI element in the application). The test object definition contains also the active object identification and the rest of the identificaiton details.

When you copy/paste a step of this type TruClient does not duplicate the test object defintion, it creates another step linked to the same test object (in order not to over populate the test object repository).

If you wish to interact with the same UI element from a different step, copy/paste is a good option for you.

If you wish to interact with a different UI element it is better to drop a generic object action step, select the UI element and change the step action if needed.

I recommend going over TruClient Webinars (held last month) The second session explains the above in more details 

Link to TruClient Webinars: ftp://tctips:LoadRun1@ftp.ext.hpe.com

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.