Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

TruClient End-of-network identification timeout included in transaction time?

Hi

I've been setting up a Truclient script and have had to increase the End-of-network Identification timeout setting to make sure that all network traffic is generated after the original request.

What I want to know is, is this time included, and should it be included, in the transaction response time? In my case I'm setting this timeout to 3000 milliseconds, and it appears that this is being included in the reported transaction response times. 

Ideally the script should wait the 3000 milliseconds to confirm that the transaction is complete, but use the time of the last completed request to calculate the response times, rather than including the timeout time

Loadrunner version is 12.53 build 1203

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: TruClient End-of-network identification timeout included in transaction time?

Hi @Michael R,

The value of “End-of-network identification timeout” is calculated as Wasted Time. That means, it is part of Transaction Duration Time, but not part of Transaction Response Time, according to below equation.

Transaction Response Time = Transaction Duration Time – Wasted Time – Think Time

“End-of-network identification timeout” is the time slot when there is no network traffic, which is the mark of end of step, when step end event is set as “Network complete” or “Synchronous net work complete”. This time slot starts from the time when last HTTP Response comes back. This period of time is treated as Wasted Time, so it’s not part of Transaction Response Time. Transaction actually ends at the time when last HTTP Response comes back.

There is a simple way to verify whether this time is calculated as Wasted Time. Run the script in VuGen (open the script in VuGen, then click Replay (F5) button directly). When replay finishes, check the log in Output pane. Check the Wasted Time in transaction end notification. Below is an example of transaction end notification.

Notify: Transaction "Transaction 1" ended with a "Pass" status (Duration: 13.8510 Think Time: 0.0040 Wasted Time: 10.6910).

In this example, Transaction Response Time = 13.8510 - 10.6910 - 0.0040 = 3.1560.

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: TruClient End-of-network identification timeout included in transaction time?

Hi Alex

Thanks for the quick response

I understand what you are saying, however I'm not seeing the "End-of-network identification timeout" value included as wasted time. I currently have this set to 3000 milliseconds and see the following in the vugen output replay log

Notify: Transaction "TC_020_Login" ended with a "Pass" status (Duration: 3.1860 Wasted Time: 0.1360).

I also see the below timers for the first and last request within the transaction. Actual elapsed time here is 1.267 seconds

t=00036769ms: Request initiated for "https://
t=00038036ms: Response body for "https://

I have the start point event as "Action Started", and the end point event as "Step Network Completed" for the transaction

Thanks
Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Michael R,

Can you try to change end point event of the transaction from "Step Network Completed" to "After step ended"? With this change, the "End-of-network identification timeout" should be included in the wasted time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Alex

I have just tried this but I have the same issue

Notify: Transaction "TC_080_View_Report" ended with a "Pass" status (Duration: 6.6870 Wasted Time: 0.0010).

This is with the transaction end point event set to "After Step Ended"

I noticed the log reports the action completes with the end event of "Step synchronous network completed", which is set for the step rather than the transaction, I don't know if this is related? Looking at the other options for this there isn't an equivalent to "After Step Ended" for the step end event. I also tried "Step network completed" here but still didn't see the wasted time being used

t=00090492ms: ** 9: Click on Report javascript_link ** successfully completed with end event 'Step synchronous network completed'

Thanks
Mike

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Michael R,

It becomes interesting. Changing transaction end point to "After step ended" should make the "End-of-network identification timeout" part of wasted time.

Is it possible to share your script? If yes, I'll send your my company email via private message. If not, can you share the log (better with Extended log enabled, and all log options are selected),  the log file in reply, or paste the log content in private message?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Alex

I can provide further details but I'll need to check at this end what I can send. Can you drop me your email and we'll take it from there?

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Michael R, email address sent to you via private message.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.