Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

TruClient Firefox opens multiple browser sessions from Controller that slows down Load Generator

Hi, 

I am using Tru Client Firefox protocol and I am running the load test with one script that has 100 users. The test is supposed to run for 1 hour. It works fine for about 20 Vusers but as soon as they start increasing, the load generator( my local windows 2008 edition)hangs up and controller throws bunch of error about not being able to recognize the objects, since it opens a browser session for each Vuser. I added another load generator(windows 2008 server), but it hangs up too as soon as the Vuser increases. It defeats the purpose of load testing when the load generator itself is jammed. Is there a way to control this in a better way beside adding load generators? Am I doing something wrong? Please help. 

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TruClient Firefox opens multiple browser sessions from Controller that slows down Load Generator

Hi,

You should either switch to Web (HTTP/HTML) protocol which does not run a browser for each Vuser, or add more Load Generators or reduce the number of Vusers run per Load Generator.

As you said, TruClient runs a browser process for each Vuser since it works in the browser level and as a result the high resource utilization on the Controller/LOad Generator.

Use this help page to troubleshoot TruClient scalability: http://tchelp.saas.hpe.com/en/12.53/Content/TruClient/procedures/_tc_t_how_to_calculate_load_generators.htm

It will not reduce the need to add more Load Generators, it will just help you avoid the issues from happening.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Re: TruClient Firefox opens multiple browser sessions from Controller that slows down Load Generator

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I tried the HTTP Protocol for the application I am testing, but the Run Time Viewer says "Javascript is not anabled in the browser", which forced me to use TruClient Protocol. How do I include the performance counters that is mentioned in the link. Is it at the script level or Controller level? 

Also, I already have 2 LGs set up for the load test. To add another LG(Windows server 2008), do I just install LoadGenerator.exe on that machine and add it via controller? Or do I need to install a patch on that LG machine. I am using version 12.02. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

1. Web (HTTP/HTML) run time viewer is a naive implementation of browser control which does not support rendering modern applications. It does not indicate anything about the protocol's capability to simulate the right workload against your application assuming you properly handled all dynamic data in your script.

Web(HTTP/HTML) simulate the traffic in the HTTP level. The script is more challenging to create but it is much more scalable. 

Bottom line: do not let the Run Time Viewer determine whether or not you use it.

2. If you wish to monitor the Load Generator using performance counters add the Windows Resources graph in Controller's run tab, add the Load Generator machine to be monitored by right clicking the graph and use the context menu to drive this configuration

3. In order to use another Load Generator you need to install the Load Generator sofwtare on that machine and add the Load Generator from the Load Generators window in Controller.

I suggest you go over the introduction section in this online help page: http://lrhelp.saas.hpe.com/en/12.53/help/WebHelp/Content/Controller/c_designing_scenarios_overview.htm

Good Luck!

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thanks a lot. 

I was able to install counters and add more LGs to the controller. However, I am noticing something weird while using Web Protocol. The application that I am using is having lot of dynamic objects and is evident from the fact that when I use TruClient, I have to apply Javascript to almost every object in the app to be able to identify them when i replay the script. But, If I develop the same use case in Web Protocol, the replay seems to be work without errors. I was expecting it to throw errors on the objects that are dynamic, but it didn't and it works everytime when I replay it. 

The design studio feature shows some values that need to be correlated foreg:- the login button, but when I do the correlation, the script throws error saying it couldn't identify the object in the parameter and If i remove the correlation, it works fine. I am not able to understand the behavior. Can you please help ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Web (HTTP/HTML) and TruClient are very different in nature. You will not see the same behavior or challenges with them. There is no room for comparison.

I suggest you to follow LoadRunner Tutorial  in order to learn the basics. it is impossible to instruct you over the community since the quesiton is relatively basic and very general. I suggest focusing on the first 4 lessons for a start

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thanks for the response. I understand the differences between both the protocols, but the question is not coming from understanding their nature. I have been handed over some scripts from a 3rd party that's used the same LR version I am using (12.02) and I saw their scripts had parameterized the buttons and text boxes that are dynamic. Those scripts are developed on Web(HTTP/HTML) Protocol as well. I am only using them to identify the use cases and develop LR script that can run in our network. I just have to replace few URLs in the script in order to re-use it, but it won't run and would throw errors related to parameterization. Now, if i remove the correlation in those scripts, it would work. I am trying to understand why there is such a difference even when both the parties are using same protocols that's built on the same framework, just different URLs. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry for misjudging the situation.

Can it be that you are working with two different versions? Maybe the script was created in a newer version and you are trying to edit in an older one?

It is very hard to troubleshoot it without actually seeing it. Sorry

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Yeah, I agree with you. It's hard to diagnose the problem without actually looking into it. I asked the folks over who handed me the scripts that they are using the same verison as mine. But even if they are newer version of LR, it shouldn't be behaving like this. I have regenerated old scripts in the newer version and they all work fine. 

I do want to ask you for the TruCLient protocol that if it's possible to close the browser session for a particular Vuser for each iteration within the script, so it lowers the load on the Load Generator. I am planning to give some pacing between iterations to give some breathing time before the next iteration starts. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Re TruClient. There is an option to force closing the browser between iterations but as far as i recall it happens when before the iteration starts so you will not be able to enjoy from reduced footprint in between the iteration.

Te option is NannyAlwaysRestart in the default.cfg file of the script to be set to 1. It is not recommended to use this option for this purpose. It is a workaround only when the application under test client code had memory leak.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.