Highlighted
New Member.

TruClient - Object identification method is changed unexpectedly when chaning it in another step

Jump to solution

Hi All,

the problem is that the object identification method for html object X is changed in step Y if I change object identification for same html object X on a DIFFERENT step Z.

I am using TruClient provided by LR 12.53 build 1203.

I have created a separate Local Library (let's call it lib1).

In lib1 there is one function with 2 steps: 

1. verify dropdown object X

2. select a value from dropdown objext X

After adding the verify step I initialize it clicking on dropdown X, after that in its Object section I modify the object identification method to Xpath and insert an xpath to verify if an option in the dropdown is present (it works fine).

After saving and reloading the script in VUGEN the problem is that ALSO the object identification method in step 2 get changed as step 1 and that breaks the script.

Is anyone able to confirm this is a bug and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Camillo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TruClient - Object identification method is changed unexpectedly when chaning it in another step

Jump to solution

Hi,

According to your description I assume you had two steps pointing on the same test object. When you change the object in one of the steps it affects the other step as well (again since both steps have reference to the same object).

If you wish each step to have its' own object you should use Replace the object in the second step, choose a completely different UI element located somewhere on the screen, one that was not in use so far in the script, and change the xpath or Descriptors of that object to fit your need.

This topic is discussed briefly in TruClient Object Identification Deep Dive webinar. I suggest watching it

Regards,

Shlomi

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TruClient - Object identification method is changed unexpectedly when chaning it in another step

Jump to solution

Hi,

According to your description I assume you had two steps pointing on the same test object. When you change the object in one of the steps it affects the other step as well (again since both steps have reference to the same object).

If you wish each step to have its' own object you should use Replace the object in the second step, choose a completely different UI element located somewhere on the screen, one that was not in use so far in the script, and change the xpath or Descriptors of that object to fit your need.

This topic is discussed briefly in TruClient Object Identification Deep Dive webinar. I suggest watching it

Regards,

Shlomi

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Shlomi,

This "feature" is infuriating, as it changes the definition of my objects in previous functions, when I encounter an object with the same name in another fuction. At this point, my script has been broken by Truclient.  Is there a way to disable this "feature"?

Truclient breaks my script even when the new object uses the default, 'Automatic'. At first, I thought it was just when I used 'Descriptors'. But, alas...

This may be a cute feature for those new to TruClient, with a small appliction to test, but the application I'm working on has many dozens of page views, with many objects having generic descriptions, such as "element (3)".

My main point is, fuctions I created yesterday, should never be broken by a new function I'm developing today. I've had way too many disappointments in this regard, lately.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Rex Black,

Sorry for the late reply. I was no vacation for several weeks.

I understand your point of view. I will ensure we conduct an internal discussion to determine what is te best approach regarding it. Just note that disabling this feature/behavior, might increase the script file size (default.xml) dramatically and might make the day to day maintenance harder.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Shlomi,

The video TruClient Object Identification Deep Dive webinar  is not working.

Can you please provide me the correct link  for TrueClient protocol webinar videos?

Thanks,

Latha

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

The video was taken down due to branding issues. We have recorded that with HP/HPE branding and we cannot expose it anymore under Micro Focus ownership.

You can look at these examples in TruClient online documentation for now until we re-create this Webinar again.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

I totally agree with this, my situation is a website where you search for a Item, the item comes back and is listed on the first and only line.   You enter a qty of 1 in that first line.   You search for the second Item, that second item is again, displayed as the first and only line.   The xpath is the same, so it sees this object as the same.   BUT when I try to change the Arguments of one step, i.e. the code of the xpath, or the step name... THEY ALL change.. I don't want this!!!! I want each step spererate as I have seperate items I'm dealing with.  IF I wanted those 'steps' joined at the hip, I would want the option to say they are the exact same AND I want them 'linked' for changes.   NOT forced upon me to just DEAL with it and figure out another way.  A seperate 'step' is 'A SEPERATE STEP'.   I seriously hope whoever coded this fixes this, it is VERY cumbersome to try and find ways around things and makes the appliction VERY not intuitive, as it should be very intuitive.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.