Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

TruClient proxy authentication in IE

I am using TruClient - IE in order to record a script that connects outside the company firewall.  To connect outside the firewall requires authentication via our proxy.  While this works fine in record/playback mode on my desktop, attempting to run from Performance Center fails because it is not authenticating using my local web proxy credentials.  My ID can authenticate via the proxy -- our load generator's id can not.

I've read that TruClient does not support proxy authentication by default which is unfortunate as this is a very common usecase.  I've also read that there may be work arounds.  Firefox unfortunatly is not an option since non-standard browsers can not connect outside the firewall at all, with or without the proxy.  What I am left with is IE and no, I can not override my custom security settings even if I wanted to.

I've attempted to to use C-Functions to call a wrapped function calling web_set_user in a feeble attempt to authenticate but have been unable to get TruClient to recognize the web_set_user function despite importing the headers.  Is this even an option?

Please tell me I am missing something obvious here.  I'm not opposed to having my company open a formal case with HP but figured I would start here first.  Thank you.

I  am using VUGen 12.01 build 2079.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: TruClient proxy authentication in IE

Hi, in similar situations, I've started out by making sure I have credentials which enables a client on the load generators to authenticate correctly. I have several times had the situation where I got go through a firewall to the outside internet from my desktop while the load generators could not. My desktop has typically been classified as "personal workstatin" while the load generators have been servers in some data center and therefore have had a different security profile. No matter which credentials I used, such servers might be blocked from making connections to the outside internet.

Before seeing how you can adjust your tools to use this or that set of credentials, I am sure you checked that you make a connection to the outside from the load generators. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your reply.  We do performance testing for internal and external sites so I am pretty familiar with the network and security requirements.  I have already taken the action item to "whitelist" the external site with respect to the firewall but this only works if I can authenticate via the proxy which TruClient apparantly can't do.  Such an arrangement is only required for testing via the load generators as all (well most) sites are available from our personal desktops.

I did manage to work through the correlation issues which were preventing us from using Web/HTTP protocol but I would still like to have a couple truclient scripts running in parallell to measure true browser response time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I suggest upgrading to 12.02 patch 3. We have made significant changes in Truclient IE which might help. 

If you cannot upgrade or the issue reproduces also after upgrade please contact HPE support. This issue can be solved by changing TruClient IE registry settings.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, could you be more specific about what changes have been made in 12.03 patch 3?  I reviewed the change record (HERE) but do not see anything that would suggest proxy authentication is allowed via TruClient.  I'll need this information to support any upgrade.

My next step very well may be to contact  HP Support but in your note, you mentioned a registry setting that might help.  Can you be more specific so that others in the forum reporting the same problem can benefit?  Thank you.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.