Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Unable to capture mobile traffic through LoadRunner Proxy

Jump to solution

Hello ,

I'm trying to capture Traffic of a Mobile application (in both IOS and Android device) through LoadRunner Proxy. I did below steps to record events. However, events are not being captured. Please let me know If I'm missing something.

1) From VuGen, I selected Mobile - HTTP/HTML ( Single Protocol) and selected an option "Remote Application via LoadRunner Proxy". Default Port # :8888. Also, Selected the option "Display recording toolbar on client machine"

2) In the Mobile, I changed the Proxy to Manual and set the Host Name as "IP address of the VuGen Machine" and Port # as 8888 ( IP address where VuGen is installed : 10.0.0.99)

3) I have also installed certificates on my Mobile Device ( wplusCAOnly_Expiration_2022.crt , wplusProxyServerCA.cer and wplusProxyServerCA_sha256.cer are the certificates)

4) I have clicked on "Develop Script" and observed a recording bar appeared on my VuGen Machine. However, events are not being captured though some activity is being done in the mobile.

Note : VuGen is installed on a different machine. Also, imported the certificates mentioned at step-3 into the browser where VuGen is running. Mobile Device and the VuGen Machine are connected to same Wi-Fi network.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sudheesh S

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

- To download the certificate, you must use the ip address of the vugen machine e.g. http://10.0.0.99:8888/proxyroot.cer  (if still get error, check you are able to ping 10.0.0.99)

- Once certificate is downloaded, email the .cer file to your iOS device (assuming you want to do it in IOS. For android just email and click the file and it will install)

- Open iOS default mail app (.cer file can only install through default mail app) and open the .cer file

-From settings->profile, trust the microfocus certificate

- In settings->about->certificate trust settings, enable the above certificate

Now if you record anything in your app, you should be able to see the script in Vugen.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hello 

1) Which LoadRunner version do you using? 

2) Could you check if protocol  "TruClient - Native Mobile " success to record this traffic? 

Regards

Oren

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
Hello Oren,
Thanks for your reply !
1) Which LoadRunner version do you using?
SS : I tried in both 12.53 and 12.6 versions

2) Could you check if protocol "TruClient - Native Mobile " success to record this traffic?

SS: I believe Mobile Center is required to record traffic with "TruClient - Native Mobile". If so, our Organization do not have License for Mobile center.

Is Mobile center needed to use this protocol ? Is there any other process to record traffic using emulators in both IOS and Android ?

Thanks for your help !

-- Sudheesh
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Recently, we had similar issue even after doing all the steps you mentioned. It would record other activities (you can try to record another application and see if this is common for all) but not the inteded application as the application used SSL.

We were able to do this for android only by capturing the web requests through an app called HTTPCanary (doesn't need rooting, just accept the permissions and put a filter for the app you want to record and start recording, perform tasks on the app). We then created custom requests using the web requests captured in httpcanary.

hopefully that works for you (at least for android)

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
Jena,

Thanks for your reply. I tried using fiddler to make sure if the proxy settings were correctly applied. I was able to capture the mobile web traffic successfully. However, it doesn't work with Load Runner. I think, some certificate issue either in Mobile Device (or) VuGen machine.

To Install certificate, I tried with http://127.0.0.1:8888/proxyroot.cer . on a VuGen Machine after starting the recording session . But, the browser doesn't download the certificate. I see an error "can't reach to this page". I also changed the proxy settings in the browser. (tried in both IE and Firefox).

Do you have any idea to resolve this issue ?

Thanks,
Sudheesh S
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

- To download the certificate, you must use the ip address of the vugen machine e.g. http://10.0.0.99:8888/proxyroot.cer  (if still get error, check you are able to ping 10.0.0.99)

- Once certificate is downloaded, email the .cer file to your iOS device (assuming you want to do it in IOS. For android just email and click the file and it will install)

- Open iOS default mail app (.cer file can only install through default mail app) and open the .cer file

-From settings->profile, trust the microfocus certificate

- In settings->about->certificate trust settings, enable the above certificate

Now if you record anything in your app, you should be able to see the script in Vugen.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hello Jena,

Thanks for your reply. I'm able to capture the traffic from an app in IOS device when the changes were made as per your recommendation.

Do I need to accept the certificate in Android like how we did in the IOS device (In settings->about->certificate trust settings) ?

I want to add one more thing, I was unable to download certificate from my home network and it worked when I changed the Network which is weird. 

Thanks,

Sudheesh S

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Glad it worked. I don't think android has the same settings. Just open the the certificate file and accept the permissions to instal it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hello Jena,

Thanks !

What if the IP gets changed after few days ? Do I have to install the certificate again ? (or) the certificate currently in use should work ? 

are the scripts developed in one machine works on the other ? Do we have to install the certificates in the machines we run the test ? If so, will the same certificates work on a different machine ?

Thanks,

Sudheesh S

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

The certificate you installed is required only for recording. Once script is recorded you can replay from any machine. But if you want to record a new script using a different Vugen machine or the same machine that has a new IP, you have to download the root certificate on the mobile device again.

My understanding is a specific root certificate helps to allow the SSL communication between any mobile client but a specifc Vugen machine. If the destination ip changes, the old certificate cannot authenticate the communication with the new Vugen machine and recording will fail.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks Jena for your help !

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.