Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Using LoadRunner on VMWARE in 2018

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I've done some extensive digging and still on the fence as to whether or not using LoadRunner on VMs is sensible.  Also, a lot of articles were a bit old so wondering if technology has moved on and made the solution any more stable?

Does anyone have any recent experience with running LoadRunner on a VM?

I dare ask if Performacne Center can be run on a VM?

Kind regards,

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Using LoadRunner on VMWARE in 2018

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Both LoadRunner and Performance Center can run on VM. This is the main configuration we test both products internally.

As long as you use dedicated ESX servers (i.e. not sharing your VMs with other groups) and ensure you do not over commit (i.e. the total VMs resources are not more than the physical host total resources) you should not experience issues. This comment refer specifically to machines that drive the workload.

You can run PC Server and PC Hosts or LoadRunner Controller on VM and as long you do not run Vusers on it, you can run it also on a shared server. You might experience performance lags (in case there was over commit of resources) but that should not affect the tests reliability.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Both LoadRunner and Performance Center can run on VM. This is the main configuration we test both products internally.

As long as you use dedicated ESX servers (i.e. not sharing your VMs with other groups) and ensure you do not over commit (i.e. the total VMs resources are not more than the physical host total resources) you should not experience issues. This comment refer specifically to machines that drive the workload.

You can run PC Server and PC Hosts or LoadRunner Controller on VM and as long you do not run Vusers on it, you can run it also on a shared server. You might experience performance lags (in case there was over commit of resources) but that should not affect the tests reliability.

Regards,
Shlomi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Spot on!

Thanks so much for that.

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi shlomi,

Just had a thought. With your comment “controller vm and as long you do not run vusers on it”. Are you saying that the LoadRunner controller requires an entire physical server? Or, can it be split into three with one vm having a controller (not used as an injector as well) and 2vms as an injector all on the same physical machine?

Cheers,
John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @John9,

The biggest concern when using VMs, is that the transaction response time will not be reliable. What I meant is that if you split a physical server and assign Controllers to it, you should care less about over committing of resources, in case you do not run Vusers on that machine. If you share the physical server for Controller and LGs you should care more about the LG's and ensure the overall physical machine is not over utilized.

Regards,
Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ah, OK, that makes sense.  Thanks again.

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.