Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Web Click and Script protocol usage and process

I had used Load Runner 4 years back before my company moved onto another tool. Now we are going back to using Load Runner, version 11. I have worked with the Web and SAP protocols in the past. One of the newer protocols I would like to try out is the Web Click and Script protocol. I have been searching for some good material on usage of this protocol, pros and cons primarily from a maintenance and performance perspective.

For e.g. how easy would it be to update a script due to a GUI enhancement? how easy would it be to update the script to add a new event? do we need more agent resources to run a GUI based script? I have read about the importance of providing enough pacing and certain necessary recording settings to make the scripts work, how do you determine these settings for an application? do they vary greatly from one application to another? what kind of framework is recommended for using this protocol?

I have just noted down some of the questions playing around in my mind. If any of you have been using this protocol and can provide your inputs it will be a great help.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

As you are going to use LR11, I would suggest to go with Ajax TruClient protocol rather than Click & Script protocols. TruClient is framework agnostic and adavanced protocol to handle ajax rich internet applications. Refer to LoadRunner guide about the usage and troubleshooting guide of TruClient for more information.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks Madan. But can the Ajax truClient protocol also be used for some of the legacy applications or applications with UI which has no Ajax features?

Also what is your thought on reusability of these scripts across multiple releases. Have you been able to do that with simple enhancements to account for the new columns or fields or does the rework require lot of time and effort.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

The TruClient protocol can also be used with "legacy" web applications, as even in these environments there can be a lot of data correlation required and the primary objective of TruClient is to avoid data correlation.

I do feel the scripts will be reusable across multiple releases, as they are much easier to maintain than legacy script types which would require you to re-record an action to account for changes in field names, values, etc... In most cases, your scripts will continue to work with minor UI changes, and major changes are simple to update in the script. Also, the learning curve for TruClient is much easier.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

What about the memory requirement on the load generator for the AJAX and Click & Script protocol?

One of my salesforce application web scripts has more corelation taking very long time to complete the scripts.

Can I use AJAX Truclient instead of Web for the Salesforce application?

Thanks,

Natraj

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.